Difficult decisions, would love input.

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
So this is an extremely difficult situation for me.
Last night we had to euthanize our favorite hen. I was preparing for the inevitable but my heart is broken today.

Back story:
In February some of our flock started sneezing. We did not know if the reason was environmental, stress from sudden drop in temp and snow or a respiratory infection. We decided to treat with tylosin, change out bedding and remove the straw bale I added over the snow. Saw improvement and left it at that. It took a bit but things balanced out.

We went on vacation end of April and left them with a sitter for 8 days. We have cameras and knew they were not being properly cared for so we sent our son over to check on them. They had no food or water. He did some cleaning, filled feeders and waterers and kept an eye on them for the remainder of time. We started noticing a raccoon on the camera. We thought it was strange but she was feeding them on the ground and our dogs had been gone.
But when I came home the coop door was busted which made our coop no longer predator proof. They were sneezing again and one had discharge, which was a new symptom. And very obviously an extremely stressed flock. We got their routine back, tested fecals and found roundworm eggs. Treated the flock with safeguard and a round of tylosin.

Pink, in particular, was not recovering so we brought her inside. Ended up at the vet last Thurs who tested for mycoplasma (which did come back positive yesterday) and gave an exam. Outside of extreme weight loss nothing else stood out to her at that point. Brought her home to start a 3 week treatment of a stronger dose of tylosin and get her weight back on. She continued to declined despite the antibiotics and extra care. We tried what we could but she was not improving and I knew suffering. So we made the hard decision to humanely euthanize.

Yesterday, I noticed another hen with Pink's symptoms and we decided to call around for a necropsy. Our state no longer has any facilities or vets to do necropsies on sick farm animals and a private one will cost just under $400. We have decided to not do it.

At this point our options are:

Attempt a necropsy, which I am questioning my ability at this point for personal reasons and really not sure I will be able to handle this. It is still on the table though.

Cull the sick hen, which will most likely be done anyways now that she showing Pink's advanced symptoms and her fate will most likely be a slow and painful decline. Continue to closely monitor the flock to show symptoms and cull them if/as they do.

Since I called the state Ag department they are now wanting, and insisting, a bird to take to test for AI. I do not believe I will have a choice in this matter since they are now aware of my sick chicken.

I have no idea what happened while I was gone, if anything, to trigger this sudden decline in my flock. Maybe they were already sick but fighting it when receiving the level of care they were used to? Maybe she brought in something new being a 4th year vet student working at the university? Maybe her chickens have something she is unaware of? It doesn't matter at this point though. What does matter is the decision I need to make right now.

I am asking for kindness and no judgement. If you do not agree with our decision to not get the $400 necropsy I respect your feelings and ask for you to respect ours.

Thank you for listening. I will really appreciate any thoughts/experiences anyone has to offer us.

I can understand not wanting to do the necropsy personally - these are pets and family members. I can also understand not wanting to put forward $400 for it - these are difficult times for many, and that $400 may very well be the difference between family members eating or not.

That being said, I would still suggest a necropsy to know what you are up against. Do you happen to have a family member or a friend that is able to assist with this? Alternatively, it might be worth putting out details on your location and see if anyone here is willing to help and is nearby.

With the other sick hen, what all details can you give on that one? Are we just seeing sneezing/discharge at this point? Are we also seeing weight loss?

Sorry for your loss. :hugs $400 is a lot of money, so I don't blame you. Have you thought about an out-of-state necropsy? CAHFS at UC Davis does them, you might wanna call them.
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/turlock-lab

If you wanna try treating the sick hen, you could try something like Baytril. It's banned for use in poultry, but many people, myself included, still use it.

Baytril 10% - All Bird Products

I will read over the link. Thank you.
She is at the end stage of Pink. I've been watching the flock and counting to see who is out with the rest and all had been accounted. We even got 12 eggs out of 14 layers 48 hours ago. I've been consumed with Pink that I missed this. I feel horrible. But she is suffering right now, that is obvious. We will do the compassionate and humane thing for her. Hubs is on his way while I stay with her.
I can understand not wanting to do the necropsy personally - these are pets and family members. I can also understand not wanting to put forward $400 for it - these are difficult times for many, and that $400 may very well be the difference between family members eating or not.

That being said, I would still suggest a necropsy to know what you are up against. Do you happen to have a family member or a friend that is able to assist with this? Alternatively, it might be worth putting out details on your location and see if anyone here is willing to help and is nearby.

With the other sick hen, what all details can you give on that one? Are we just seeing sneezing/discharge at this point? Are we also seeing weight loss?
She never had the sneezing or discharge. She has the yellow/green poop that Pink had in the end, labored breathing, eyes closing and just laying in one spot for hours now. She was out with the rest yesterday but I watched her closely as I noticed her laying in one spot for a while. I kept checking and she was there for about 4.5 hours while we were outside spring cleaning the coop. Roosted with the rest but has taken a turn for the worse overnight. We cleaned the coop yesterday and I did not see this poop under the roosts. But in the end this was the same as Pink's became.
PXL_20220525_160952975.jpg
PXL_20220525_161033104.jpg

I think hubs might be ok with a necropsy. We will have that discussion when he gets here.

I should add her comb is still red and plump. Outside of laying in one spot, labored breathing and that poop under her roost she would look healthy. That is why Pink's exam was "unremarkable" I would guess.

No, I did not weigh her. In all honesty, I don't want to move her. Pink was hand raised and used to being held and moved. This one was broody raised and rarely handles. Me sitting down 4 ft away made her jump a little. If she had more energy she would have moved away. Picking her up when she is already struggling would make her more anxious and I most certainly do not want that. I'll sit close though just to watch. Hubs home in 10 minutes. His drive feels like an eternity today.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs $400 is a lot of money, so I don't blame you. Have you thought about an out-of-state necropsy? CAHFS at UC Davis does them, you might wanna call them.
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/turlock-lab

If you wanna try treating the sick hen, you could try something like Baytril. It's banned for use in poultry, but many people, myself included, still use it.

Baytril 10% - All Bird Products

Thank you for that link! I am less than 2 hours that will do one for $35. I'll bring one there in the morning and the other one Illinois state is aggressively pursuing to test for AI. They want my bird but won't test for anything else. Super frustrating 😡

Back
Top Bottom