Difficult decisions, would love input.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs $400 is a lot of money, so I don't blame you. Have you thought about an out-of-state necropsy? CAHFS at UC Davis does them, you might wanna call them.
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/turlock-lab

If you wanna try treating the sick hen, you could try something like Baytril. It's banned for use in poultry, but many people, myself included, still use it.

Baytril 10% - All Bird Products

I was going to suggest an out of state necropsy too. Even here in Wisconsin they’re very inexpensive and used to even be at no cost and I’ve heard they’re offering that again in light of AI. but can’t be sure on that. Hell, even if she needed to use someone’s address to send in as a resident that could even be a less above bird option but an option nonetheless. With social media it’s not hard to find people all over that you’re at least semi acquainted with. Personally, being I am NPIP and a tester, I wouldn’t let someone use my address. That would be terrible if something major came back positive for so many reasons. I’m thinking more along the lines of friends and family who DO NOT have poultry for reason above. But if one really wanted to get the bird to a state that will do the necropsy for free or reduced cost, it would be something to ponder. The problem may be return address / postage stamps or tracking history because they have to be sent very specifically. Also things to factor.
To the op - so sorry your going thru this and for your loss. This can be heartbreaking. And I could never do my own necropsy either. And I’m not squeamish. I have exhibition birds that I spend a lot of time with. I am attached to the little buggers too. So I just couldn’t. I hope things get better and you get the answers you need. And last, I’m not suggesting it is okay to be deceitful in this situation. I’m just thinking if it were me and my back was against the wall, what are all the options for a necropsy. Just an idea I chose to toss out. Right or wrong. Out of state labs may do it for non residents for all I know too?!
Anyway best of luck to you and lots of comfort your way.

I would not do a neocropsy, you need training to see anything. And would never pay $400 for testing. I don't take mine to a vet. I would cull the now sick bird, and to be honest, I would look hard at the remaining flock, and segregate ANYTHING that is the least bit off or cull that too.

I would pray that the state does not find the avian flu.

I would suspect wild birds is where your birds picked up whatever gave them the sniffles. I would be quite surprised if the worms gave them sniffles, but parasites do make birds less thrifty and more susceptible to a disease. I don't think you need to blame yourself or even your pet sitter. 8 days of not quite enough feed really is not enough to push them over the edge, unless they were in terrible shape to begin with, and I can't see your chickens being in that shape.

Chicken keeping is not for the faint of heart. Wish the best for you.

Mrs K

I would not do a neocropsy, you need training to see anything. And would never pay $400 for testing. I don't take mine to a vet. I would cull the now sick bird, and to be honest, I would look hard at the remaining flock, and segregate ANYTHING that is the least bit off or cull that too.

I would pray that the state does not find the avian flu.

I would suspect wild birds is where your birds picked up whatever gave them the sniffles. I would be quite surprised if the worms gave them sniffles, but parasites do make birds less thrifty and more susceptible to a disease. I don't think you need to blame yourself or even your pet sitter. 8 days of not quite enough feed really is not enough to push them over the edge, unless they were in terrible shape to begin with, and I can't see your chickens being in that shape.

Chicken keeping is not for the faint of heart. Wish the best for you.

Mrs K
Your last sentence Mrs. K… truer words were never spoken.

I will read over the link. Thank you.
She is at the end stage of Pink. I've been watching the flock and counting to see who is out with the rest and all had been accounted. We even got 12 eggs out of 14 layers 48 hours ago. I've been consumed with Pink that I missed this. I feel horrible. But she is suffering right now, that is obvious. We will do the compassionate and humane thing for her. Hubs is on his way while I stay with her.

She never had the sneezing or discharge. She has the yellow/green poop that Pink had in the end, labored breathing, eyes closing and just laying in one spot for hours now. She was out with the rest yesterday but I watched her closely as I noticed her laying in one spot for a while. I kept checking and she was there for about 4.5 hours while we were outside spring cleaning the coop. Roosted with the rest but has taken a turn for the worse overnight. We cleaned the coop yesterday and I did not see this poop under the roosts. But in the end this was the same as Pink's became. View attachment 3123215View attachment 3123217
I think hubs might be ok with a necropsy. We will have that discussion when he gets here.
I have a hen that's going through the same exact thing. She's not walking, having yellow in her poop, and just seems really depressed/sleeping constantly. Her combs are also still a bright healthy red. I'm probably going to euthanize her tomorrow but if you get any word on what was wrong with her I would love to know. Sorry for your loss💕

I have a hen that's going through the same exact thing. She's not walking, having yellow in her poop, and just seems really depressed/sleeping constantly. Her combs are also still a bright healthy red. I'm probably going to euthanize her tomorrow but if you get any word on what was wrong with her I would love to know. Sorry for your loss💕
Sorry for my late reply. And I'm sorry your girl is not doing well. Did she recover or did you have to euthanize her?
The necropsy came back as Marek's and mycoplasma. It was the Marek's infection that most likely caused her death. I'm really glad I decided to do the necropsy. I would not have known about the Marek's with her outward symptoms. Our rooster was not recovering from weight loss and overall after the stressful event so we had him necropsied also. He had symptoms of Marek's internally and it was also ruled as his cause of sickness. Neither had the normal obvious nerve damage outwardly but internally he showed inflammation of specific nerves. I'm glad he didn't have to suffer knowing he was infected and not recovering.

I now have the information needed to care for the rest of the flock. I would never have known it was Marek's. I did know about the mycoplasma when the first girl was sick. We had her swabbed. I had been treating the flock with antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom