1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difficult time here...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Suzie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    To start...last Friday one of my beloved young Roosters died...he was only four months old...he was fine until he injured his left leg..he was either attacked in the roost or fell..I nurtured him, ensured he was well fed and watered...he was bullied somewhat by the female Turkens...but he was happy...I massaged his legs every day and he was contented...I noticed on Friday evening that he appeared to be sleepy...I isolated him and gave him food and water well within his reach..he had a heat lamp above him and a bed of hay...he had a convulsion and I immediately picked him up..fearing the worst...as I write this I am having to wipe the tears from my eyes...I embraced him for over an hour until he finally died...I could not let him die alone...we had a special bond..he died in my arms...it was the right thing to do for him..he was bewildered by what was happening to him...I am sure he took comfort that I was with him until the end...

The weather here has been inclement and today two of my Roosters were (I thought) being chased by one of my donkeys...this was not the case...as this evening my Turken Rooster appeared in the main coop and was attacking Boy-Boy...the Turken Rooster was tearing into Boy-Boy...there was so much blood from Boy-Boy...I extricated the situation for Boy-Boy but the Turken male was pecking at the main coop door...determined to finish what he had started...

I have had many Roosters live here in harmony before and have never witnessed such a savage and sustained attack...I asked my Husband to euthanase the offending Turken Rooster...the offender is now no more..he'll be in freezer camp later...my concern for Boy-Boy is my priority..his comb is very badly damaged...his head and neck feathers are extremely blood stained...he has been with me in the house this evening...I have applied betadine and wound powder to his injuries...he perked up enough for me to put him back with hiis girls tonight..he seems alert and has eaten a little of the feed..just checking on him he is currently on the roost with his girls...

This has been a traumatic week for me...I guess I live and learn...every day

Thanks to anyone reading this that can relate to what I have posted...

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh Suzie, I am so so sorry. [​IMG] Weeks like this are very hard to endure. Your heart must be so heavy. You take such good care of your babies and they love you for it. I am sorry you lost your young rooster. [​IMG]

And I sure hope you can nurse Boy Boy back to good health. I am sure with all the love and attention you give him, he will pull through. I think you did the right thing in putting down the offending rooster. You can't keep birds that kill in the flock.

Suzie, we have all had our losses and we do understand. You are in good hands here on BYC. And I hope your heavy heart can heal soon along with your dear Boy Boy.

Many hugs coming your way Suzie...[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thank you so much my special friend...

Your words are such a comfort to me..we have shared many losses...

Love and hugs to you too
    xxxx

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Love and hugs to you too my dear Suzie

xxxx

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose a pet, especially the ones we are incredibly connected to.
    I have shed many tears over losing chickens, but with time my heart heals. I never forget the ones I have lost, but with time I allow myself to love chickens again.
    I had one hen die very similiar to how your beloved rooster passed, in a fit of convulsions. I, too comforted her, stroked her gently and helped her through them with tears in my eyes. She passed, and I felt a sense of relief that she no longer had to endure such suffering. I feel as though they find comfort in our presence, and can feel our love during these times.

I hope that your rooster Boy Boy makes a full recovery. I'm always amazed at how quickly chickens can heal. I have a good feeling about Boy Boy.

:hugs
    Keep your chin up.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry that your young rooster died. I know how it is to form a special bond with a chicken, when you are trying to nurse it back to health.

I also understand how bewildering it is when roosters who coexisted with one another for a long while, all of a sudden turn. I have had to tend to a couple of very bloodied rooster combs that healed up very well. The fact that BoyBoy is eating some is a very good sign.

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    [​IMG]
    Well..here is a photograph of my baby Rooster that died last Friday evening...I didn't even realise that I had taken some images of him...so it was a pleasant surprise today when the camera images were downloaded...

He was the image of Boy-Boy...and I was hoping that he would eventually become the flock master...

On a lighter note...Boy-Boy is fine..he has eaten and been drinking and despite the blood stained feathers he is crowing and appears to be none the worse for his ordeal with the savage Turken Roo who is now in freezer camp.....

Thanks for all of your messages...they mean so much to me...and of course for my beloved Boy-Boy,,,,

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Aww....he was such a beauty!! I am so sorry your lost him. [​IMG]

Great to hear Boy-Boy is back to is old self!! What wonderful news!!! I am sure you are enjoying hearing his crow now! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing Suzie. I know how hard it is to share these types of stories but we are all here to help you through these difficult times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by