Diflucan or other oral antifungal

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
I want to get an oral medicine to address Favus. Diflucan can only be obtained in my area with a vet prescription, & no vets around here will see my Rooster. Does anyone know where I could get antifungal in oral pill form without a prescription? My only other option would be buying Miconazole for women...not sure how much poor Roo would appreciate the flavor of that shoved in his beak Lol.

You can get fluconazole or ketoconazole for fish OTC.

fluconazole_2.png

ketoconazole_fluconazole_1.PNG

Fluconazole
fluconazole.jpg
1629663839833.png

Ketoconazole

1629663781107.png

1629663754410.png

Last edited:
Favus must be treated externally, not internally. Apply Miconazole cream as needed until completely gone. Wear disposable gloves when applying the cream.
Here's a pic of Favus on a rooster:
OIP (1)favus.jpg

I saw photos of bad favus & pox that looked similar so I'm not sure exactly what he has. It finally seems to be improving with weeks of Blukote. No other chickens have this, not even his favorite hen, very odd.

I just used a 150mg tablet of fluconazole over 7 days to treat vent gleet. It did not work. I need another suggestion as daily baths, ACV, yogurt and Canesten cream is only keeping it at bay and not curing the problem. Been ongoing for a month now.

I just used a 150mg tablet of fluconazole over 7 days to treat vent gleet. It did not work. I need another suggestion as daily baths, ACV, yogurt and Canesten cream is only keeping it at bay and not curing the problem. Been ongoing for a month now.
When I have one with vent gleet the first things I try are de-worming for five days with fenbendazole and treating for coccidiosis with toltrazuril. If it doesn't improve, I try an antibiotic (enrofloxacin).

Vent gleet is not always a fungal infection.

Ok - I'll try to find some of those meds. Do you know if they are available over the counter, as access to a vet and/or prescriptions is difficult.
Thank you so much - I've only had hens for a little over a year - so I'm new to all this - but I want to do right by those girls. :)

In one of my hens vent gleet was not the issue, although that's what it appeared to be. The nasty poo running down & accumulating in feathers was a symptom, not the cause. 1st thing I did was wash & dry her poor sore bottom, and plucked out a few nasty feathers. In her case, I did take a fresh stool sample to a vet for testing. A bird could have worms, bacterial or mycoplasma, coccidiosis or even peritonitis, to cause runny droppings, so a correct diagnosis is best. Even vets that don't see chickens will do a fecal test.

After any treatment, providing probiotics will help, too. I use ProBios, mix into drinking water, 1 tablespoon per gallon.

Best of luck!

Ok - I'll try to find some of those meds. Do you know if they are available over the counter, as access to a vet and/or prescriptions is difficult.
Thank you so much - I've only had hens for a little over a year - so I'm new to all this - but I want to do right by those girls. :)
If you live in the US you can buy Safeguard (fenbendazole) for goats and Corid (amprolium, you could try this instead of the toltrazuril). Both are available OTC.

Enrofloxacin is available online without a prescription, but it's banned for use in poultry, so you would only use that as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom