Diggin up the backyard

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tdgill, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

does anyone else find themselves doing this? I hope I don't shovel up the WHOLE yard! hahaha. We have so much fun digging in the dirt and finding yummies.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, hon - get yourself a rototiller and dig it up that way- it's much easier! [​IMG]

My DH rototills all my pens at least once every month! The chickens LOVE scratching in it when he gets done!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ack! I never thought of rototilling the pens! [​IMG] What a great idea!

4. tdgill

oh, I HAVE a rototiller. But not that much yard! hahaha. This isn't outa necessity yet. I only have 7 chickens and don't seem to be overwhelmed by a need to freshen up at this point, tho I do turn over the small dirt area in the run with a shovel. We just have fun doing it. Every day for a few minutes i will dig some holes. So far, BF hasn't mentioned that a certain area or two looks like its been bombed. I have to be careful because they are literally on top of the shovel at times, sliding into the hole etc, its hilarious

5. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I never thought to dig up the yard. I bet my girls will have a blast scracthing through it. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try it this evening.[​IMG]

6. tdgill

hahahah...look out. its hard to stop. think i will have to "feed" and grow some more yummies in the areas i have already dug up. My girlfriend said the other day, "and you had such nice grass there" Guess thats where i will have to build my pond. hahahaha. for ducks. hahah. not that I want any. ha. quack quack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by