digging perimeter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beach livin', Dec 28, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    the girls are digging along the inside perimeter of the run. i thought i cleared the space out pretty good. but they have unearthed half a piece of plywood, an old soda can, and a flot to an old fishing net. I ended up cleaning the entire area and coop yesterday. i found some old bricks around the back shed, so i put them down where they have dug the ditches, and i sent hubby to fetch a couple wheelbarrows worth of dirt from the neighbors dirt pile. i just filled in behind, over, and in front of the bricks. im sure today they will uncover all the bricks and spread all the dirt around the run [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am having the same trouble with my girls in the greenhouse. We used a foot or so of gravel around the edges and they are digging it all up. You just can't stop them from digging. [​IMG]

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You just can't stop them from digging

A wire "apron" will stop them from digging along the edges of the runs​

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:A wire "apron" will stop them from digging along the edges of the runs

X2

Chris

5. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i have an apron on the exterior, but not the interior where they are digging

6. K-9mom

K-9mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    mine started the same thing this week. also have dug out places to lay outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by