Digital vs. alcohol, which thermometer is right?

morgakl2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
My eggs have been in an incubator since July 23rd. I've been using the alcohol thermometer that came with the "Little Giant" incubator. Tonight, I bought and added a digital thermometer because I needed the hydrometer feature. Both sensors are laying on top of the eggs. The alcohol thermometer is reading 98 degrees, while the digital is reading 95.4 degrees. Which should I trust and go by?

I use a regular medical thermometer that I know is accurate to check mine. Or you could stick them under your tongue and see which one comes closest to normal body temp.... unless of course you are running a fever.
lol.png

I have noticed with the LG thermometers, that they are grossly inaccurate. The glass can even be moved up or down a little without much effort. I use multiple methods to check temperature, but prefer the "old-school" glass thermometer from the drug store. I have used a candy thermometer, a digital, even a meat thermometer. It took some trial and error. I have even used the regular digital oral thermometer for spot-checks.

I like the trouble shooting idea of putting it under my tongue. Way to think out of the box ( or incubator in this case).

I guess this first incubation will be trial and error. thanks for letting me know that LG thermometers are off. I didn't even realize that the plastic backing with numbers could shift. If I've had the temperature at 95 this whole time, how much will it effect my eggs
sad.png
???

Thank you both
smile.png

I've read recommendations of tossing the LG thermomter and buy and calibrate another one. My LG thermometer reads 106 most of the time! My others, which are calibrated , read 100-101. Wish they put in a coupon instead of a thermometer!

I bought many aftermarket alcohol thermometers, didn't matter the brand none read the same, ditched them for digital from lowes, all but one was good, calibrated against a mercury thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom