Dimensions of a Run

nnpack

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Greenville, SC
I am so excited because I just picked up my first little girls yesterday, two 6-week old barred rocks. Now, it getting down to business time and I have to finish my coop and run. I am building a 3x4 coop with an attached run, much like the "playhouse" style I have seen everywhere. My question is this (and any other advice would be appreciated) "how large should my run be? Should I make it 8x3 or 12x3?

They say 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. Everyone says bigger is better.
My math is terrible by it seems like your coop would fit 3 birds and the 8x3 run would fit 2 birds while the 12x3 would fit 31/2 birds.
I'll let the experts confirm this.

Have fun! Mine are six weeks and still in my spare room. All should be ready for them outside within the next two weeks. I can't wait!

If you're absolutely sure that you will never have more than two chickens, your 3x4 coop and either 3x8 or 3x12 run will be adequate for them. Still "the bigger, the better" is always true.

Knowing my personality, I am building bigger just in case I ever get that twinkle for some more girls!! I have 8 chicks coming Monday and am in the process of building a 16 x 10 run - should be more than enough for my needs right now but as I said, just in case.....

I do have plans to add a silkie inthe future, but because I live inthe city limits and near others, I will probably never go much more than three or four. So Iwill go bigger... maybe 16x3? Or switch the coop the ohter way and make it 12x4. decisions, decisions.

I'd go as big as you can. I have 12 ft. per bird and I don't feel like's it's very big. It makes me feel guilty when I don't let them out to free range for a few days. It won't cost that much more to just go bigger and it will be easier to do it now than to have to re-do it later.

Yeap. Big as you possibly can. Even if you are legally restricted to just 2 chickens max, they will be HAPPIER chickens in as large a run as you can give them.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom