Dimmer switch incubator

Atlantakycklingar

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 29, 2011
Atlanta
Hey, I know this has been discussed before, but what if I had a room with an always constant temperature? I have a room that is nonstop 55.7 degrees and varies at most from 55.6 to 55.8 and 65-70% humidity. I could just use a dimmer switch on a 40W bulb, and just set it to the right temperature with store-bought eggs and not vary it. I realize that 65% ambient external humidity is relative humidity and I'd still need to have a water source inside.

If I can use an external turning device, or just lift and lower the whole incubator, I wouldn't have to ever open the lid, except occasionally to candle and take out bad eggs. I guess I'd have to worry about the eggs giving off heat towards the end, but wouldn't they do the same under a chicken?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Also, are there any off smells involved with incubating eggs? They'll be in a wine cellar, so I can't have funky smells coming out of the incubator. Thanks!

The dimmer switch incubator is very crude, with very stable ambient conditions it can work but far from ideal.

When you put the eggs in they will be slow to come to temperature, the incubator will be slow to rewarm after opening and on initial start up.

If you are going with the dimmer for simplicity then you would also not likely be making any sort of automatic egg turner so you then will need to open the incubator at least a couple times a day.

Establishing conditions for lockdown and durring the hatch will be difficult as any change to ventalation or humidity gained by evaporation will affect temperature and require careful adjustment to the dimmer switch almost assuring you will get overshoot one way or another.

As far as smell, yes, once you get eggs hatching it will smell and if you ever get a rotten egg explode in the incubator smell is an understatment.

For a few dollars and a little time to rig it up I would add a thermostat and fan to the plan, the end result will be better.

Also store bought eggs are extremly unlikely to hatch. Number one they are almost cetainly infertile and number two they have been washed, refrigerated, subjected to all sorts of shipping and are likely weeks old which would kill the chances even if they were fertile.

I built a homemade incubator/hatcher with a dimmer switch. I have it in a closed room. It works fine. Now I only use it for lockdown hatching. I did put a fan in it with a 15 watt light bulb and the temp stays good.

IMG_3188.jpg
IMG_3190.jpg
Pictureb111.jpg

Granted it can and has been done. Looks good BTW.
cool.png

However would you not agree that trying to make a dimmer switch incubator work with less than ideal eggs would most likely be a discouraging way to get into hatching?

Why not set things up for success rather than failure? Especially when starting out, I'd say an hours reading and a few bucks on a thermostat and viable hatching eggs will pay off many times over.

I just meant using store bought eggs to just dial it in better, not to hatch. Ironically, though, I was going to start with some TJ's fertile eggs for my first go round.

Also I'm going to use tubing to adjust humidity, and I do have a fan as well. Also trying to put together an actuator on a timer to lift the corner of the bator up and down instead of and turning. So other than candling, it won't be opened.

Ok... but I don't get why you would go to the trouble of building a timer and actuator to tilt the incubator and skip on the thermostat? They are not expensive and are very simple to add.

Kind of like puting street racing tires on a farm tractor if you ask me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom