Ding, Dong, The Mink is DEAD!!!!!

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
Which old mink?

The one that killed my puddle ducks last summer and then started in on my muscovies 2 weeks ago.

It's not a great win, because both MR and Mrs Duck are gone as is their last 9 hatched ducklings. The ducklings and their 3 older siblings were being kept in the garage at night and unfortunately Thanksgiving night one corner of the garage door was slightly up and the nasty critter got in and went to town. DH and I, of course, happened to be spending the night elsewhere and when he came home around 9 am the next day to feed the birds he found the carnage. The 3 older birds were okay, they could fly and apparently spent the night flying all over to high shelves, etc whenever the mink tried to corner them. He released them outside and slammed the door the rest of the way in the forlorn hope he trapped the mink in the garage.

I came home the next day with a live trap baited with raw venison and put it by the garage door where it had gotten in.

Guess what I found in it 5 hours later?!! YES!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it because everything I heard it wouldn't go after dead meat. We figured it was hungry and frustrated being trapped in the garage for 24 hours with no live food or dead ducklings. The mink was hissing and baring it's teeth, what a loathsome creature!

It was not long for this world, however. I gave the carcass to DH and here you can see the current state of the mink.

6857_mink_skull_small.jpg

I know there are more minks out there and eventually I'll have the problem again but I'm hoping not till my flock increases. I've got one female and 2 male 'scovies left.

Back
Top Bottom