Dinner for one?

4theloveofhens

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Hey Everyone

Due to a recent split up of me and my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and his moving out, I now find myself for the first time and now for a consistent amount of time (besides the occasionally "brinner" [breakfast for dinner] I would make myself) only making dinner for one --- myself. I made my first meal for myself the other night (chicken fried rice) that could do about 10 servings for me. Had to throw it out before I went out of town for the holidays.

What are some good ideas for dinner for one? I don't have any food allergies but I am on a limited budget since I am a college student now living by myself. Also, I don't do all that prepackaged crap "just add water". I like to make things from scratch!

Also, no seafood.

smile.png

Thanks for any ideas. Not sure what I'll be eating tonight.

If it weren't for my four girls (pullets) and my son (cocker spaniel), I'd be.....

One of my favorite dishes when living alone was to get some of those chicken sausages that most meat departments carry now. They freeze well, also. I would take one sausage, slice it and saute it with onion, then add cooked pasta (whatever shape I happened to have) and throw in a handful of fresh spinach or chopped broccoli. It's versatile, you make it fresh whenever you need it and you can cook the pasta ahead of time and just use a meal's worth at a time. Doesn't need any sauce, because of the veggies, but you can put a marinara sauce over it if you want.

Quote:
Yup, that's how I do it. Make whatever meal size is convenient to make, then freeze leftovers in individual meal size containers. Have learned that meat freezes much better if it has a sauce or gravy on it. I love it -- lots of meals I don't cook, I just defrost and reheat. Chicken and dumplings in 5 minutes! Lamb or beef stew, etc. I love making a meal of field peas and butter beans with cornbread. That freezes great, too. Each portion of peas/beans has 2 individually wrapped pieces of cornbread stored with it. Soups are easy to make and freeze well, too, nice hearty soups.

Tonight I had a pork cubed steak (WW flour is kept in a baggie in the freezer for flouring stuff) and some corn and broccoli from those store brand bags that hold several servings. For this meal I cook one portion only, and clip the veggie bag closed. When I buy most any meat I save one for that day and freeze the rest, raw, in Glad Wrap, individually of course. Most every morning I fry an potato and half an onion, and eat it with two eggs overeasy. Lunch is usually a sandwich; I wash and separate leaf lettuce when I buy it; usually I eat the whole thing before it goes bad.

Enjoy your solitude -- I do. I was often living alone at your age, too. It's been my choice for years. Biggest problem I have is, is my milk for my coffee sometimes goes sour before I get through a half gallon. It's really no hassle at all to cook for one, once you get accustomed to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm married now but all the years I was single I ate really well - one best friend are those Glad (or store brand) square food storage containers, meal size. Make many of the great comfort food dishes folks suggested and pack the leftovers in meal sized portions in those containers - take them to work for lunch, or pack at school during a break. Works like a champ.

All the other suggestions were really good - hang in there it'll be great for you once you realize you get to do all the stuff now you used to put off because you were involved...

Big

Congratulations on being out on your own. It can feel really great and good food always helps.

I use epicurious.com for my recipes and adjust them accordingly to size. They're all pretty fresh recipes and you can search it using ingredients you already have which saves heaps of money on 'oh I just need...' grocery trips where you somehow come back with sushi grade sashimi and fourteen cheeses. I also like to use the crockpot and freeze meals - like chicken stew - and then I can have them later or I make them with a crust on top (I can share that recipe too if you want!) so I can have frozen instant homemade chicken pot pies any time I want. I make them in single and double and family serves actually using throwaway tins - so I can also surprise friends with dinner if they're having a bad day. The crockpot makes it easy because you can chuck everything in and it can be discount cuts of meat (for beef, lamb and goat anyway) and come out really lovely! So you can make in bulk, with cheaper ingredients, things tend to taste better, and you can usually freeze most crockpot recipes easily.

Okay boo, I'm sorry but my internet is being a pain and won't load my recipes I wanted to send you that were my favourites. Hopefully I remember when it stops being a pain and can come back and send them to you.
hmm.png

But yes, try that!

Back
Top Bottom