Dipsy!!! First hatch in progress!! and a question about chick

briesberrypatch

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Yellow Springs, OH
I set 21 BBS Ameraucana eggs from Dipsy 20 days ago. I candled on day 10, and all were developing well except for one egg that was clear. I'm using a Hovabator, and I love it.

I expected the hatch tomorrow, so I was surprised to hear chirping when I got home this evening. So far three have hatched out, eight others have pipped and one more is zipping. It looks like the three that are out are a blue, a black, and a splash.

The splash has been on its back since it hatched (30 min?) and can't seem to flip over. I'm afraid to open the incubator even for a second to put it on its feet. What is the right thing to do?

Last edited:
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

As of 9 AM, 15 had hatched, two had pipped, and three eggs had no signs of hatching yet. I'm hoping they're all out by the time I get home this afternoon.
smile.png

I love the pictures of Dipsy BBS chicks! Once mine are out of the incubator, I'll get some pictures, too.

One of the pipped eggs had been working, without much progress, since yesterday afternoon. I'm afraid he's not going to make it out.
sad.png

Here are my BBS little guys at 1 week old. I'm pretty sure one is black, but the other two, who I thought were both blue, are different shades, with one having some yellow tinge to its fuzz. Is it possible that it is a dark splash, instead of a light Blue? What do you think?

all3chicks(1week)1e.jpg

all3chicks(1week)2e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom