Dipsy!!! First hatch in progress!! and a question about chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by briesberrypatch, Oct 8, 2009.

1. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    I set 21 BBS Ameraucana eggs from Dipsy 20 days ago. I candled on day 10, and all were developing well except for one egg that was clear. I'm using a Hovabator, and I love it.

I expected the hatch tomorrow, so I was surprised to hear chirping when I got home this evening. So far three have hatched out, eight others have pipped and one more is zipping. It looks like the three that are out are a blue, a black, and a splash.

The splash has been on its back since it hatched (30 min?) and can't seem to flip over. I'm afraid to open the incubator even for a second to put it on its feet. What is the right thing to do?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!! BBS Ameraucana's are on my "wish" list.

I can't answer your questions as I'm on my first hatch too. (Day 6)

3. briesberrypatch

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Upside-down chick is finally on his feet. I've got five out and running around the incubator and nine more in progress. This is so exciting!!

4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    my eggs from dipsy doodle hatched today too congrats to your first hatch

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. DiamondJFarms.com

DiamondJFarms.com Out Of The Brooder

My Buff Orp broody, hatched some Dipsy Doodle Doo BBS Amerauncana eggs. Here are photos of the 3 that made it. I think I got 2 blues and 1 black.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick #1 black chick
    [​IMG]

Chicks #2 and #3 both blue (I think)
    [​IMG]

7. briesberrypatch

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    As of 9 AM, 15 had hatched, two had pipped, and three eggs had no signs of hatching yet. I'm hoping they're all out by the time I get home this afternoon. [​IMG]

I love the pictures of Dipsy BBS chicks! Once mine are out of the incubator, I'll get some pictures, too.

One of the pipped eggs had been working, without much progress, since yesterday afternoon. I'm afraid he's not going to make it out. [​IMG]

8. Hi Laura! Great job incubating! Congratulations!
    Thanks for the pics, Joycelyn, looks like Mama Buff is doing a good job with them.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

9. DiamondJFarms.com

DiamondJFarms.com Out Of The Brooder

Here are my BBS little guys at 1 week old. I'm pretty sure one is black, but the other two, who I thought were both blue, are different shades, with one having some yellow tinge to its fuzz. Is it possible that it is a dark splash, instead of a light Blue? What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Hi! They look like they could be 3 blues (in the new pics). Cutecutecute!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by