Dirt Bath or Not ?

Maxwell Schmidt

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2017
Hi,
Im fairly new to the backyard quail scene so I've got a couple questions regarding dirt baths for the quails. Ive got a fairly small covey of Coturnix (2 male 9 female) in a home built coop (8'x3'x16"tall) in my back yard. I've got them mostly for hunting dog training and for fun but I like to think I spoil them regardless! I've heard they really enjoy the option of a dirt bath in their coop for a few different reasons. I guess my questions would be:

1) is it worth the time/money/effort to provide them with a dirt bath
2) what size and "dirt" materials/ratios do I put in it? (Diatomaceous Earth?)

Id really like to get into hatching and brooding soon and Ive heard that happy quail make hatching a lot easier! Thanks in advance for any input!

-Max

Ours love to dust bathe, and we have an old clay pot bottom that we put all purpose sand in with some DE mixed in, they will run and hop in it as soon as it is put inside their pen. I'm not sure about the females hatching eggs tho, ours have never brooded, so it may be wise to have an incubator to hatch them, probably more reliable and dependable. Just be sure to vet one that has the insert tray for those small eggs. We have never hatched them, so I can't be of any help to ya on that....:)

Ours love to dust bathe, and we have an old clay pot bottom that we put all purpose sand in with some DE mixed in, they will run and hop in it as soon as it is put inside their pen. I'm not sure about the females hatching eggs tho, ours have never brooded, so it may be wise to have an incubator to hatch them, probably more reliable and dependable. Just be sure to vet one that has the insert tray for those small eggs. We have never hatched them, so I can't be of any help to ya on that....:)
Same here for the "dirt bath". I buy all purpose sand from the hardware store and add DE. I use a kitty litter pan for my 8 quails and they love it. Fill the pan about 1 inch deep with sand plus 1/4 cup DE. I change the sand once a week.

Sorry, I have no advice about hatching eggs. I bought my quails when they were 3 weeks old.

Good luck!!

I take some food and mix it in with the straw. They have a blast pecking and trilling! It doesn't last long though.

Back
Top Bottom