Dirt floor coop vs raised wood floor coop

Dirt Floor or Raised Wood Floor Coop

• Total voters
Nope, it stays mostly dry except for rain that blows in from the open sides. The one end does get rain inside it a lil, but that is just because I don't have the roof over hanging as much on that end, but that would be an easy fix.
Sounds like you've got a good plan now! Take pictures of your conversion to show off later.

DLM sounds like it would be more work than sand... My coop, nest boxes, and run are all sand. I scoop in the morning and once in the afternoon (just because I’m out there anyway watching chicken tv). Easey peasey.

I'm down to (ONLY!) 46 chickens for the winter, and have no interest in daily poop scooping. It may make sense for some, but not for a flock, so deep bedding, and semi-annual cleanout has been my method for decades.
It's a choice between intensive poo management, and having a desert climate to manage the issues with damp stinky sand, or deep litter that the birds enjoy turning over every day.
Mary

I'm down to (ONLY!) 46 chickens for the winter, and have no interest in daily poop scooping. It may make sense for some, but not for a flock, so deep bedding, and semi-annual cleanout has been my method for decades.
It's a choice between intensive poo management, and having a desert climate to manage the issues with damp stinky sand, or deep litter that the birds enjoy turning over every day.
Mary
Whew! I've only got fifteen in the coop and half of them are only thirteen weeks old (so smaller poops)!! I don't mind scooping and the sand does stay dry, so it's like what i'd imagine a litter box is like. Plus, I have a lot of zeolite mixed in which keeps things drier.

Back
Top Bottom