Dirt floor coop vs raised wood floor coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MotherOfChickens, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Dirt Floor Coop

45.0%
  2. Raised Wood Floor Coop

55.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    You don't need to dig down to install a predator apron. You simply very securely attach a 2' wide strip of 1/2" hardware cloth to the base framing of the floor all around the coop, secure the opposite side with landscape pins then cover the HC with about 1" of soil. You can plant grass over it or whatever.
    I would think that trying to use anything other than DLM with a dirt floor would be labor intensive. The beauty behind DLM is that the microbes in the soil break down the waste via decomposition right there in the coop. You either rake the litter daily or toss and handful of scratch over the litter and let the chickens do it for you. Add more litter as everything breaks down. It's simple, healthful and greatly reduces chicken keeping chores.

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I've had dirt floor and raised. Prefer raised as it's been far less susceptible to rodents getting in and since it's so wet in my area raising the coop is really the only way to keep the wood completely clear of ground and rain water that's present two-thirds of the year.

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I have my entire setup on "high ground". Nothing pools in my coop/run area. I do not, but wish I did, have a dirt floor. Any water coming off the coop or run roofs just drains away. That is critical.
    Preserving the wood so that it is not in constant contact with wet/damp soil means laying down a level layer of crushed #2 and compacting a firm base that will drain down to the pitched soil beneath.
    I've never had rodents in my coop or run. It is entirely secured with 1/2" HC.

MotherOfChickens likes this.
  4. MotherOfChickens

MotherOfChickens Songster

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    Im starting to go against the dirt floor now. I get mice in the run that visit from the next door neighbor's shed. I dont want them moving in to my coop. They can visit, but they cant5take up residence.

5. Noreaster Egger

Noreaster Egger Songster

May 22, 2016
    I have a raised coop with a poop board, but they are pretty much only in there to sleep. At daybreak they're out in their run which is pretty much DLM with bamboo and wood chips that I get from Chip Drop. I'll occasionally pick up the really big nasties in the run and those that are in my usual path going to the pop door and their feeding area.

The pine shavings on the floor of the coop stay nice and dry being raised and the birds rarely poop in there. It almost seems like they purposely hold their cecals in and wait to drop them outside since they know how much they reek. lol

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    That sounds about like mine. Lol

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's always essential to fix drainage issues first! And having a rodent proof perimeter is needed for any chicken facility. A skirt of hardware cloth or concrete footing work well. Predators are relentless!
    Mary

DobieLover likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have no drainage/puddling issues....and want a truly composting deep litter...go for 'on the ground'.

Yeah, you don't have to dig down for an apron.
    Good examples of anti-dig apron installation:
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528

I like my raised coop, provides all weather shelter underneath, and I can do deep litter outside in the run.

This is not really deep litter, more like deep bedding. TalkALittle's post on DB vs DL: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075545/can-i-do-deep-litter-method-with-this-coop#post_16440037

9. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    That apron would work perfect, except for one thing, I cant do it on the outside of the 2 solid walls because that is not my property. Is there another way that you know of that I can do it? TIA

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmm...first questions would be can you move the walls....and why are they right on the property line?? How well do you get on with the neighbors?
    Pics might help here.

DobieLover likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: