Dirt floor or solid floor? Deep litter.

zookeeper15133

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2010
SW PA
I am about to start my 12' x 16' coop. I am torn between having the deep litter method over dirt or a solid floor with shavings.

Please post all pros and cons of each! Help me decide!

Last edited:
I just posted the same question below 20 minutes ago - I am having the same dilema -

I'm curious too. Our intended coop was cool as hell - old wooden mini barn with shingled roof. Really "antiquey" and couldn't wait to get started fixing it up. It had a wooden floor and we were going to replace it. We just tore the whole thing down as we found it to be termite infested and much of the base wood would crumble like dust:(
So we are starting from scratch now.

Yepper.....I love it!!!
thumbsup.gif

I love the deep litter method. I just cleaned the coop floor for the first time (2 years) this spring after I used straw over the winter to insulate the inside (it's an old 12 by 6' metal tool shed) and it filled up the area I have marked with landscape timbers for the litter.

I just swipe pine shavings and poo to the floor every week or so, add a sprinkling of DE and barn lime, and nature does the rest. No smell at all.

because of our colder climate here in Nova Scotia we'll be using the deep litter method. I'm not a fan of it from a neatness point of view but it will help the chickens to stay warm in the winter as everything composts and releases heat. We plan on cleaning it out every spring.

Quote:
Just reading your post and I myself us DE - just wondering about barn lime - Is this what you call it or does it come in another name - also is this mainly used to cover the smell. Thanks...

Just reading your post and I myself us DE - just wondering about barn lime - Is this what you call it or does it come in another name - also is this mainly used to cover the smell. Thanks...

Yes, barn lime - that's what the bag calls it, I'm not sure of it's other names - covers up the smell better. I like to use both - the DE dries it out real well and keeps the bugs at bay. The lime covers the smell instantly.​

Is Barn Lime the same as Hydrated Lime? I remember from my childhood that my family using hydrated lime in the outhouse. It kept down the smell. They also used it to dust potatoes when they were dug in the fall. It kept them from rotting. I know it's also used as a paint or whitewash. I'm just wondering if it is the same as hydrated lime how it might affect the chicken's feet walking in it.

Back
Top Bottom