Dirt floor over concrete, has anyone else done this?

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I'm very close to ordering my dirt, so just wondered if anyone else has added dirt over a concrete floor?
I have always had my chickens in a pole barn with a dirt floor and loved it but I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything. I'm hoping the dirt will be the same but I think actual dirt hardens after it's been under a roof for so long, although chickens can still scratch it and make a dust bathing area, and not sure topsoil will do that.
I'm installing 6 inch pressure treated lumber around the perimeter to keep in the dirt and I'm planning the dirt height to be about 5 inches.
My pop door will be way above that.

In my experience, the chickens will scratch and move the dirt to a large extent. So even if you start out with an even 5 inch layer of dirt, after a few days there will be bare spots and piles of dirt engineered by your chickens. If a bare spot develops under the pop door and ramp, they may injure their feet hopping down onto the concrete.

It might be fine; this is just something to think about.

Concrete also seaps moisture which is why they say to only use treated wood on it. I think you'll find that with the moisture wicking up through the concrete your dirt will become mud. Not sure how you would mitigate this though. My suggestion would be to tile over the concrete before putting anything down. You might be able to get away with laminate but I'm not sure.

In my experience, the chickens will scratch and move the dirt to a large extent. So even if you start out with an even 5 inch layer of dirt, after a few days there will be bare spots and piles of dirt engineered by your chickens. If a bare spot develops under the pop door and ramp, they may injure their feet hopping down onto the concrete.

It might be fine; this is just something to think about.
The pop door won't be that far up but if it was, I was going to make them a landing. :)

Now I remember your coop in the concrete floored building.
Not sure I'd add dirt, but just use shavings and a poop board.
I don't remember if you have a run, where they can scratch and dust bathe.
I hate shavings..after having lived with them for a year, the dust is awful....I have a 24x24 garage and I gave the chickens a 16x16 area in that with an attached lean-to of 9x24, but this is basically where they go when I am gone or it's raining...and to sleep. They can't use the lean to dust bathe in because it doesn't dry out enough (although I fixed the french drain that was there and extended it further out with a solid water pipe..I had no idea there was a french drain that ended under the lean-to.)
I'm gonna try the dirt, I just hope I don't have any major issues.

I hate shavings..after having lived with them for a year, the dust is awful...
I'm gonna try the dirt, I just hope I don't have any major issues.

I predict that you will have dust from the dirt too.

I think that if you keep it dry, you will have quite a bit of dust no matter what bedding you use. Whether the dust will be worse one way than another, I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom