Dirt in the Brooder

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
First off, I've looked just about everywhere I can think of for months and can't find anything on my idea. The only thing I can find that's anywhere near what I'm thinking of is a sand brooder. But, I was wondering if anyone has tried a dirt bedding brooder. I thought it might be a good way to build up their immune system. I could be totally wrong, and I'd like to try it, probably no matter the feedback I get from here. But I'd like to hear your ideas, concerns, or if you've ever tried it.

Thanks,
Madie.

Part of what you say is true, but it's not all about the space available. Part of the problem in a brooder is that they aren't exposed to the same sorts of things that occur out in the open. Chicks that are outside are exposed to greater amounts of vitamins and minerals, as well as bacteria and viruses, which is why they thrive better, and where do they find most of these things...? In the dirt and rocks that they eat from the outside world.

Hence the sod plugs if they have no access to the outdoors.
Mind you, I brood my chicks in the coop in a built-in brooder with attached covered run. They are exposed to the flock and environment they will live it from the day they arrive... or hatch here.
Brooder run Fabio.jpg
Chicks in brooder run.jpg
momma and babies first day out.jpg

Last edited:
To answer everyone's question about space, I do start out with 20 in a 55-gallon tote, which in the weeks afterward dwindles down to about 5 chicks per tote as they move outside, are sold, and just get too crowded. I probably should have specified that in the beginning to avoid the criticism, but it didn't come to mind as important to the issue, but you all brought up perfectly valid points, so thank you.

First off, I've looked just about everywhere I can think of for months and can't find anything on my idea. The only thing I can find that's anywhere near what I'm thinking of is a sand brooder. But, I was wondering if anyone has tried a dirt bedding brooder. I thought it might be a good way to build up their immune system. I could be totally wrong, and I'd like to try it, probably no matter the feedback I get from here. But I'd like to hear your ideas, concerns, or if you've ever tried it.

Thanks,
Madie.
Haven't and would not try it.
The brooder needs to be as clean and dry as possible. Instead, I offer plugs of sod from the ground they will be kept on and give them fresh ones as needed.

Well my brooder is open bottomed and sits directly on the ground, so that's about as close to your idea as I've gotten, though my run flooring is deep litter and not plain dirt. No poop-dirt balls and the litter stayed pretty dry inside even after rainfall.

It ended up making for super easy clean up (though I hadn't planned it that way) as there was no need to clean up after the chicks. I simply moved the brooder around the run and allowed my hens to dig around the area where it had been moved from. The poop got mixed into the litter that way with no extra work from me.

Thanks,
Madie.
:love:love:love
I am a fan of dirt.

I use boxes of dirt in my brooder.
I usually wait until day 3 to add only because I like to make sure everyone is pooping normal first and it's easier to see on white paper towels.

Back
Top Bottom