Dirty Behind, how to clean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tia Z., Oct 16, 2009.

1. Tia Z.

Tia Z. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    My chicken's behind is clumped with nastyness. I was hoping she would take care of it but now I see she is going bald back there. Any tips on the best way to clean her up?

Thank you!

2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tia,

Last weekend I noticed that one of my roos also had a "clumpy dirty behind". Of course this is the only roo that will peck my arms when I hold him. Well I held him and took him to a wash tub with warm water and a bunch of paper towels. Held them against his butt and let it soak in. Slowly, and I mean slowly, it started to loosen up enough for me to remove all of the stuff.

I escaped with only a few scratches from his feet because I had jeans with a hole in the leg and a few pecks and pinches on my arms. Nothing too bad.

I don't know if this was the most effective or best way to clean him up but it worked. He is all nice and clean now.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I just searched this very topic this morning because one of my barred rock hen's bottom is disgusing. I also soaked her bottom in warm water and got most of it off with a paper towel. Her feathers back there are coming out. Her vent looks normal, no bugs, no redness or anything. I just don't know??

4. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Had to clean our Wyandotte's bum about a month ago. It's easier with two people.

1. DBF held her while sitting on the edge of the bathtub,

2. I held a bucket of warm soapy water under her behind, and scooped water onto her dirty bum.

(I used a touch of baby shampoo, I think a lot of folks use Dawn, you could probably just use plain warm water to keep it simple.)

3. I worked the icky bits out, careful not to pull her feathers.

4. Blow dried her fanny and put her back outside, looking fabulous.

Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    You better watch that baby shampoo and blow dryer bit she might get to like it too much.

6. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

if she is not a show bird you can trim the feathers around the vent so it doesn't stick back there again

7. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    I was just searching for the same type of issues. I was wondering how to trim the feathers around the vent? I am new to chickens so this may sound stupid but will the feathers bleed if you trim them? I have bantam cochins and they do not roost at night in the coop so I guess when they poop it just wants to collect back there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by