Dirty Behind, how to clean?

Tia Z.

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Chico
My chicken's behind is clumped with nastyness. I was hoping she would take care of it but now I see she is going bald back there. Any tips on the best way to clean her up?

Thank you!

Tia,

Last weekend I noticed that one of my roos also had a "clumpy dirty behind". Of course this is the only roo that will peck my arms when I hold him. Well I held him and took him to a wash tub with warm water and a bunch of paper towels. Held them against his butt and let it soak in. Slowly, and I mean slowly, it started to loosen up enough for me to remove all of the stuff.

I escaped with only a few scratches from his feet because I had jeans with a hole in the leg and a few pecks and pinches on my arms. Nothing too bad.

I don't know if this was the most effective or best way to clean him up but it worked. He is all nice and clean now.

I just searched this very topic this morning because one of my barred rock hen's bottom is disgusing. I also soaked her bottom in warm water and got most of it off with a paper towel. Her feathers back there are coming out. Her vent looks normal, no bugs, no redness or anything. I just don't know??

Had to clean our Wyandotte's bum about a month ago. It's easier with two people.

1. DBF held her while sitting on the edge of the bathtub,

2. I held a bucket of warm soapy water under her behind, and scooped water onto her dirty bum.

(I used a touch of baby shampoo, I think a lot of folks use Dawn, you could probably just use plain warm water to keep it simple.)

3. I worked the icky bits out, careful not to pull her feathers.

4. Blow dried her fanny and put her back outside, looking fabulous.

Good luck.
smile.png

I was just searching for the same type of issues. I was wondering how to trim the feathers around the vent? I am new to chickens so this may sound stupid but will the feathers bleed if you trim them? I have bantam cochins and they do not roost at night in the coop so I guess when they poop it just wants to collect back there.

Back
Top Bottom