Dirty butt

drelleng

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Hi,

I have 2 new chicks (barred plymouth rock) in my brooder. I purchased them on friday so they are now about 6 days old. They are both doing well, eating, drinking and active. However one of them collect feces on their hindend, very dry that gets stuck. I used a moist warm cloth to soak the area and remove the feces and she immediately passed soft normal feces. I have raised multiple chicks and never had this problem before. My other worry is that one time I caught the other chick pecking at the area. There is some mild redness there. Diet is "Scratch and Peck" 20% protein. Should I just keep the chick clean as I'm doing or is there something I should be changing in her diet? Not sure what they were feeding prior but I assume there has been a diet change. Thanks!

Hi,

I have 2 new chicks (barred plymouth rock) in my brooder. I purchased them on friday so they are now about 6 days old. They are both doing well, eating, drinking and active. However one of them collect feces on their hindend, very dry that gets stuck. I used a moist warm cloth to soak the area and remove the feces and she immediately passed soft normal feces. I have raised multiple chicks and never had this problem before. My other worry is that one time I caught the other chick pecking at the area. There is some mild redness there. Diet is "Scratch and Peck" 20% protein. Should I just keep the chick clean as I'm doing or is there something I should be changing in her diet? Not sure what they were feeding prior but I assume there has been a diet change. Thanks!
Are you providing chick grit free choice? You are using Scratch and Peck Chick Starter correct?

How is the temperature in your brooder? Does the chick seem cold or hot?

I would continue to watch her bum and clean it regularly. You can put a bit of coconut oil or vaseline on the vent to help keep poop from sticking and lessen irritation.

Are you providing chick grit free choice? You are using Scratch and Peck Chick Starter correct?

How is the temperature in your brooder? Does the chick seem cold or hot?

I would continue to watch her bum and clean it regularly. You can put a bit of coconut oil or vaseline on the vent to help keep poop from sticking and lessen irritation.
Thank you for your quick reply. Yes the Scratch and Peck Starter. The temperature is good, they seem very comfortable. I don't have scratch for them but I can certainly get some if you think it will help. I'll try the coconut oil. So appreciate your time and input.

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes the Scratch and Peck Starter. The temperature is good, they seem very comfortable. I don't have scratch for them but I can certainly get some if you think it will help. I'll try the coconut oil. So appreciate your time and input.
No, you don't want to give them scratch that don't need that, you want to provide Chick Grit (crushed granite) when using Scratch and Peck feed. The feed is more of a "whole" type feed instead of "traditional" crumbles, so the chicks need Grit to process the feed. Likely the mention of grit is on the feed label, if not they do included that on feeding information on their website. https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/naturally-free-starter/

You can find chick grit in most feed stores like Tractor Supply or order it online.

1580216369614.png

One more question, I picked up the chick grit and on the bag it states to wait until 2 weeks of age. They are 6 days old, should I wait or start it right away?

One more question, I picked up the chick grit and on the bag it states to wait until 2 weeks of age. They are 6 days old, should I wait or start it right away?
If it's plain chick grit (crushed granite) with no additives, then I would start it right away. I put grit down for my just hatched chicks and have never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom