Dirty C-Xs embarassed to bring to Butcher

card5640

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Bangor area, Maine
My chickens are sooo dirty, I am embarassed to bring them in for Freezer Camp, should I be, has he seen dirtier ones before. I pride my self in the care I give them. I move their cage daily but they sleep and poop on each other, they are filthy, is this normal? Their undersides are gross.

Mine were filthy too. I ran them through the washer before I took them in. Wife wasn't too happy though.

OK, I admit I'm kidding. They were filthy though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Processor has seen dirty chickens before. My Cornish X are never dirty. I raise them inside and bed them on shavings. I add more shavings as necessary and the bedding always stays clean and dry. Might be something to consider for the future.

lol.png
I was actually thinking about washing them up real good before I bring them in, but they are not friendly anymore and get dirty so quick. As long as mine are not the only dirty ones I'll feel less embarassed.

Quote:
You must use lot of shavings. I went through 5 bags. It took about 5 days for the shavings to turn in to sludge. If I do it again I will use one of my larger runs.

How could you let them get soooooooo filthy. MY birds are pristine and have class. Don't your birds have any class? Why MY birds even wipe their little bums after they do their business. Maybe you should install a boday for them.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif
No seriousely chickens tend to be dirty. I wouldn't worry about it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You must use lot of shavings. I went through 5 bags. It took about 5 days for the shavings to turn in to sludge. If I do it again I will use one of my larger runs.

I don't think I used more than 5 bags of shavings total for the last batch of 25 even though I didn't get them butchered until they were 10 to 12 weeks of age. They are in a 12 x 12 box stall inside the barn. The previous batch took more shavings because of moisture. The warmth from the chickens condenses on the underside of the tin roof of the barn and then it rains back down. I need a way to fix that. But this batch didn't have that problem because it wasn't so cold and therefore there was less condensation. I am going to try 50 chickens this next time so I may have more of a problem then. I'll see.

Back
Top Bottom