Dirty Chicken Butt

Ojwilli18

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2019
Saginaw, Michigan
Hello all,
I have three 7 month old chickens, one 7 month old khaki campbell duck, and one 2 1/2 year old buff orpington hybrid. They are all female. For the past couple days my Rhode Island Red has had a very poopy butt. I thought it was something that would clear up on its own, but today I was able to get a good look while she was eating and the vent area is red and irritated, it looks like feathers are missing and are poky like they are growing back in and it looks swollen. The poop resembled mud and didn't have a foul smell to me, it just smelled like regular chicken poop and I did not see any yellow,white, or green liquid and the cloaca seemed to be throbbing a lot. She has been eating and foraging normally and her activity level also seems normal, but I used to get about 5-6 eggs a day and this has now slowed to two eggs a day. She also feels very thin and when feeling all of my chickens crop's tonight, they were full but seemed soft. I have looked up symptoms to vent gleet, but I am not sure if that is what she has. The last few days they have been offered collard greens, endive, celery, and about two days ago I gave them blueberries and mango. Is it possible she just has a bout of diahhreah from the produce? Sour crop? Beggining to molt? I live in Michigan so it is just starting to warm up, so whenever they do molt it will be their first one. Today I put diatamaceous earth in their run and coop, offered them each 1 ml Fenbendazole, as they have never been de-wormed and I figured that could be the cause, and have a probiotics pack that I plan to add to their water tomorrow. I also have ACV, and amprolium but I am unsure if I should offer all of these meds at once? I brought her inside and gave her a good bath, blow dry, and put some coconut oil to try nd help with the irritation/swelling. I am looking for any and all advice or any dose of reassurance from anyone who has gotten through this with one of their girls. I just really want to do all that I can to help her, and with the current COVID outbreak vet visits are limited. I have also attached some pics if that helps. Thanks!! (Also the third picture is of the top part of her back close to her "tail", it looks like the feathers are coming out/growing back in? nd its like black spots, evidince of mites?)

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
Hello all,
I have three 7 month old chickens, one 7 month old khaki campbell duck, and one 2 1/2 year old buff orpington hybrid. They are all female. For the past couple days my Rhode Island Red has had a very poopy butt. I thought it was something that would clear up on its own, but today I was able to get a good look while she was eating and the vent area is red and irritated, it looks like feathers are missing and are poky like they are growing back in and it looks swollen. The poop resembled mud and didn't have a foul smell to me, it just smelled like regular chicken poop and I did not see any yellow,white, or green liquid and the cloaca seemed to be throbbing a lot. She has been eating and foraging normally and her activity level also seems normal, but I used to get about 5-6 eggs a day and this has now slowed to two eggs a day. She also feels very thin and when feeling all of my chickens crop's tonight, they were full but seemed soft. I have looked up symptoms to vent gleet, but I am not sure if that is what she has. The last few days they have been offered collard greens, endive, celery, and about two days ago I gave them blueberries and mango. Is it possible she just has a bout of diahhreah from the produce? Sour crop? Beggining to molt? I live in Michigan so it is just starting to warm up, so whenever they do molt it will be their first one. Today I put diatamaceous earth in their run and coop, offered them each 1 ml Fenbendazole, as they have never been de-wormed and I figured that could be the cause, and have a probiotics pack that I plan to add to their water tomorrow. I also have ACV, and amprolium but I am unsure if I should offer all of these meds at once? I brought her inside and gave her a good bath, blow dry, and put some coconut oil to try nd help with the irritation/swelling. I am looking for any and all advice or any dose of reassurance from anyone who has gotten through this with one of their girls. I just really want to do all that I can to help her, and with the current COVID outbreak vet visits are limited. I have also attached some pics if that helps. Thanks!! (Also the third picture is of the top part of her back close to her "tail", it looks like the feathers are coming out/growing back in? nd its like black spots, evidince of mites?)
I have a chicken like that. She gets diarrhea every now and then and she has had trouble laying in the past. It always does her good to give her some tums when she seems like she is not laying and then she gets back on track again. The ACV and probiotics are always good for their digestion. The warm bath is also helpful, sounds like you are on the right track.

I have a chicken like that. She gets diarrhea every now and then and she has had trouble laying in the past. It always does her good to give her some tums when she seems like she is not laying and then she gets back on track again. The ACV and probiotics are always good for their digestion. The warm bath is also helpful, sounds like you are on the right track.
Thank you so very much for the response! I never would have thought I'd be bathing a chicken in my bathtub and blowdrying her! lol and with the tums, do you just crush one tab and offer it to her or is it a certain brand you use?

Thank you so very much for the response! I never would have thought I'd be bathing a chicken in my bathtub and blowdrying her! lol and with the tums, do you just crush one tab and offer it to her or is it a certain brand you use?
I bathe my chickens a lot! I never thought they would need that either, LOL! I use a Tupperware tub inside the shower stall just big enough to fit their body, that way I don’t have to fill the tub I usually use the extra strength Tums the generic version and break up one pill in 5 or 6 pieces and then just feed them to my girls by opening their beak and sticking the piece In.They hate it! It always does the trick though, so far. If you think that they have broke a softshell egg inside them, they could get a infection and that’s when you would have to get some antibiotics or take her to the vet

I bathe my chickens a lot! I never thought they would need that either, LOL! I use a Tupperware tub inside the shower stall just big enough to fit their body, that way I don’t have to fill the tub I usually use the extra strength Tums the generic version and break up one pill in 5 or 6 pieces and then just feed them to my girls by opening their beak and sticking the piece In.They hate it! It always does the trick though, so far. If you think that they have broke a softshell egg inside them, they could get a infection and that’s when you would have to get some antibiotics or take her to the vet
Hahah, chicken love is a unique type of love!!! But okay thanks, sounds good! I'm hopeful that's not the case and with the clean butt tonight, de-wormer, and probiotics tomorrow she'll start to feel better. I'll get myself some tums as well, thank you again I feel a little more at ease about the situation :)

Hahah, chicken love is a unique type of love!!! But okay thanks, sounds good! I'm hopeful that's not the case and with the clean butt tonight, de-wormer, and probiotics tomorrow she'll start to feel better. I'll get myself some tums as well, thank you again I feel a little more at ease about the situation :)
Make sure you do the Tums, with the pulsating rear end I would say it is something to do with laying and that will help her.

Back
Top Bottom