1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirty chicken feet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladyhawk124, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ladyhawk124

ladyhawk124 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    My Girls constantly have dirty feet. I have a very large coop and run for my 12 chickens. I have poop boards under my roosts. No matter how much i clean up their poop they still seem to find a way to walk through it. Should I be concerned because my chickens frequently have poop stuck to their feet? [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My chickens often have dirty feet. I wouldn't say that's its unusual. After all, they don't know better to avoid piles of droppings or avoid stepping in mud.

3. ladyhawk124

Jun 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Thank you for your reply...I thought I was being a worry wort but being a new chicken mom I did not want to over look something if it could cause them harm. I have become quite attached to my girls[​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yeah, it's maddening when they plow right through a stinky puddle of cecal poop. Then jump into your lap.

So, I sympathize. It's one of the main reasons I use sand in my run. It's easy to keep the poop scooped up and if they do get poopy feet, the sand usually helps clean their feet.

The only ones you really need to be concerned about are feather-footed breeds like Cochins and Brahmas. If I notice mine with poopy feet, they will get a foot wash. Mud and poop allowed to cake onto feathered feet can become a problem. The others, it stains and smells, but it's not a big concern.

1 person likes this.
  5. ladyhawk124

Jun 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Thank you for the info have 3 brahmas. Such beautiful chickens! So fluffy! [​IMG]

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    It seems to me they like walking through poop, but likely they just don't care. I would bet if there was only one poop in my coop/run, the would line up to plow thru it...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by