Dirty duck pool

Khaki mama

Chirping
Mar 31, 2020
We have two khaki Campbell ducks that both love their kiddie pool in their coop, however I have to clean it out every 2 or 3 days because of how dirty it gets and if I wait a day longer it gets all green and gross. Just wondering if theres any chemicals that I could put In their duck pool that will keep it from getting so dirty and gross. We're about add 6 more ducks that also love water. It takes almost an hour and an half to get it completely cleaned and ready to swim in. Are their any chemicals that are safe for ducks?

For our duck pool we have an Inground pool, which is just a hole we dug, but it is different for us because we have a spring they we can run into the pond constantly and a river so it can drain it’s self. This seems to work for us to keep clean. I know that not every one has that option, but it may be something you mite be able to recreate? For chemicals, since they are drinking the water I don’t think it sounds like a great idea. Sorry it’s not much help. Good luck, Avery

We do have a pond they love to play in. But It just a kiddie pool so it's pretty easy to just dump it, but thank you anyway.

We had the same problem when we had ducks. We ended up getting rid of the ducks, so I have no solution for you....but will suggest:

1. have a good drainage setup so the area around the pool doesn’t get permanently wet/gross.

2. If you can make the drainage system direct the water somewhere with plants, the filthy water is great fertilizer.

I’ll warn that with more ducks (maybe 9) and TWO pools, water had to be changed EVERY day.

I use a 50 gallon stock tank with a ball valve drain system. It literally takes 20 minutes to drain and refill.

IMG_20200524_114337.jpg
You can see the ball valve is not in the bottom but a couple inches above it.
IMG_20200528_100910.jpg
I used 2 90° elbows that are connected to 1" pvc so I can direct the water away.
IMG_20200614_083715.jpg
Once it was confirmed there were no leaks I built a deck to control the wetness around the pool. So far it works great.
When I start the drain I lay the hose in it to keep the bottom stirred up. By the time I feed everyone it is clear enough to close the valve and fill.

As for chemicals able to combat the amount of duck poo they add I don't think there are any.

It's a little bit overkill for a kiddie pool but you can get different kinds of pond filters, some more heavy-duty than others, as well as battery operated hand vacuums for pools like these - https://www.seawaypoolsntubs.com/sh...RnGroIejZOzL0avPQpRUNxH2pMj2snhEaAiV9EALw_wcB

you'll still have to empty it but maybe only weekly instead of several times per week,

They make "bird safe" pond chemicals but you're not really dealing with a regular pond, you're dealing with very muddy ducks so you'd likely be using so much of them it would cost more than its worth for how often you'd still have to empty it all out.

I tip my ducks' kiddie pool to drain it, rinse it out briefly with the hose, and refill it. Fifteen minutes, tops. Three to four times a week whether it needs it or not. They get to keep any green bits or leaves that are left, because mostly I care about not having mosquitoes. It's not installed permanently, so I can move it wherever I like.

Same with the three-gallon basins in the smaller pens.

I don't use chemicals.

BTW, I use a double kiddie pool, and they last much longer that way. They are also easier to tip and flush out. The sides are firmer for ducks (and my geese) scrambling over the edges. I buy them on sale at the end of the summer.

I tip my ducks' kiddie pool to drain it, rinse it out briefly with the hose, and refill it. Fifteen minutes, tops. Three to four times a week whether it needs it or not. They get to keep any green bits or leaves that are left, because mostly I care about not having mosquitoes. It's not installed permanently, so I can move it wherever I like.

Same with the three-gallon basins in the smaller pens.

I don't use chemicals.

BTW, I use a double kiddie pool, and they last much longer that way. They are also easier to tip and flush out. The sides are firmer for ducks (and my geese) scrambling over the edges. I buy them on sale at the end of the summer.
The only reason I don't do it is because our duck coop is back by our barn which we don't have a hose over there, so I have to drag our garden hose which is a combination of three long hoses and it takes all three and it barely makes it then I have to scrub them clean and fill the pool and the water bowls.

Back
Top Bottom