Dirty egg question

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
I have 11 chickens and I got my first egg on Wednesday, October 6 2021 and had 3 good clean eggs in the nest boxes but today I checked on the coop at 3:00 in the afternoon and she was in the nest box so I came back about a half hour later and there was no egg in the box. I looked in the coop and about a foot from the box was the poopy egg. I don’t know have the egg got out of the nest because there is a lip so the egg couldn’t have been kicked out. I tried cleaning the egg but it didn’t work should I do something or just wait to see what happens tomorrow?

I go ou
I agree with @Tonyroo she probably just thought she was done and got up. Young hens are still learning what's going on, it's good her instinct is to start in the box. She'll get the hang of it. I wash poopy eggs in very warm water and store in the fridge or cook them immediately
I agree with @Tonyroo she probably just thought she was done and got up. Young hens are still learning what's going on, it's good her instinct is to start in the box. She'll get the hang of it. I wash poopy eggs in very warm water and store in the fridge or cook them immediately.
Today I found an egg in the same spot. Hopefully she learns when she is done laying an egg 😂

My girls have sand in the coop, run, and nest boxes, so I rarely have a dirty egg. The only time I do it when someone accidentally poops as she’s laying. If she stays in the box tho, the poop usually gets knocked off as she’s moving the egg around in the sand underneath her. 👍🏻👍🏻

9EF1AEBA-9326-4B06-8775-374550B539AB.jpeg

I agree with @Tonyroo she probably just thought she was done and got up. Young hens are still learning what's going on, it's good her instinct is to start in the box. She'll get the hang of it. I wash poopy eggs in very warm water and store in the fridge or cook them immediately.
Even if you cannot muster the courage to eat this egg yourself, you might consider cooking it scrambled, with or without the crushed shell, and feeding it back to your laying hens. It has the perfect protein & amino acid profile, making it a delicious and nutritious treat.

Back
Top Bottom