Dirty Vent Feathers on 2 Chickens: Normal or Bad Sign?

NCchics

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
Hi friends - two of my chickens have recently started having yucky poop matted to their vent feathers. I just finished the follow-up treatment for cocci and quickly started a waterer with probiotics and vitamins (along with one plain water) after I noticed the dirty vents. Does anyone know if this is cause for concern or will just work itself out? We've always allowed them to free range several hours a day, but have recently been able to finish the fence so that they can be out all day - just in case that might factor in. Thanks so much in advance for your help!!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi friends - two of my chickens have recently started having yucky poop matted to their vent feathers. I just finished the follow-up treatment for cocci and quickly started a waterer with probiotics and vitamins (along with one plain water) after I noticed the dirty vents. Does anyone know if this is cause for concern or will just work itself out? We've always allowed them to free range several hours a day, but have recently been able to finish the fence so that they can be out all day - just in case that might factor in. Thanks so much in advance for your help!!
[/URL]

What type of food/treats are you feeding?

Some hens can have a lot of fluff and sometimes poop can stick. But it seems like you may have had some illness recently?

Did you get any fecal samples tested for cocci and worms?

Wash/clean them up - give the bum a little trim around the vent. Give fresh water daily, fresh poultry feed, limit treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily intake and see if that helps.

If they continue to have loose stools, then having a fecal sample would be in order.

No real treats other than just an occasional handful of scratch for the 6 of them at night...but they are eating way more grass than they used to, so I've noticed one has been having more watery, grassy droppings than usual. Tried cleaning them up tonight (messy job!), so will hope they stay clean going forward. Will also try looking up how to clip those vent feathers - does anyone know if that has the potential to hurt them at all?

No real treats other than just an occasional handful of scratch for the 6 of them at night...but they are eating way more grass than they used to, so I've noticed one has been having more watery, grassy droppings than usual. Tried cleaning them up tonight (messy job!), so will hope they stay clean going forward. Will also try looking up how to clip those vent feathers - does anyone know if that has the potential to hurt them at all?
Clipping the feathers will actually work better then washing acting more preventative.It wont hurt just clip the poopy feathers. Happens to my hens all the time.

Masterofclucker, that's great to hear!! So it doesn't mean anything's wrong when poop gets stuck like that, just that either the feathers got a little long or the poop is especially runny for a bit?

You will want to keep watch on them. They shouldn't have watery stools everytime they poop - so if you see that then taking a fecal sample to the vet for testing would be a good idea.

I have a couple of girls that are extra fluffy on the bum - they don't always expel their poo away like they should - I just take a small pair of sharp scissors and trim the fluff down. I will warn you on mine this is like super fine fuzz - so you may want to wear a face mask while trimming so you don't breath in those feather particles.

Back
Top Bottom