Dirty vent

UKchooks

Songster
Nov 18, 2018
Hi, one of my hens has droppings on the feathers around her vent. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but she's fine in herself - eating well and very active - though it does look like she may have lost a little weight (she was always the greediest and plumpest of my three girls, but now she looks about the same as the others size-wise, though she's still the greediest!)

I've found the odd runny dropping when cleaning out, but nothing excessive and I've just put it down to what they've been eating (they get salad leaves, cucumber, apple, peas, sweetcorn and the occasional grape as treats). I have seen her pass normal droppings too.

The other two girls are fine, vent areas nice and clean.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to bathe her? (She won't be happy!) Is there anything else I should be doing?

Many thanks.

Not the best pics as she was more interested in trying to peck the phone, but should give a general idea. I'm going to wait until my husband gets home before attempting to clean her up as I think it will be a two-person job!
2019-07-19 14.23.59.jpg 2019-07-19 14.23.15.jpg 2019-07-19 14.24.29.jpg

I'm going to wait until my husband gets home before attempting to clean her up as I think it will be a two-person job!
Will be easier for sure.

If it's hot there they drink more water and have looser poops as a result.
But good to get in there and take a look, trimming will be a longer term solution than just bathing them.

Back
Top Bottom