(Dis)Advantages to using battery powered chainsaws

View attachment 3636924
Actually, based on what y'all are saying, I may have to consider them.

:old IMHO, Ryobi is a great value for the DIYer/home owner type of user. With about 300 different tools running on their 18v batteries, I have found myself replacing my manual tools with battery powered tools as I get older.

For example, I was working a project that required me to do a lot of stapling. My manual stapler worked just fine, but my old hands started cramping up squeezing that trigger. So, I bought the Ryobi 18v stapler and retired the manual stapler.

Last year, I bought one of those powered shovels. After I learned how best to use it, it saved me a lot of back pain from shoveling with a manual snow shovel. Also, for light snowfall, I just use the power shovel instead of taking out the big gas snow blower.

1694880243036.png

I admit, that power shovel is nothing I would have bought when I was a younger man. But it has more value to me now. Priorities are changing as I get older and I am buying more tools that make my life easier. I'm OK with that.

I admit, that power shovel is nothing I would have bought when I was a younger man. But it has more value to me now. Priorities are changing as I get older and I am buying more tools that make my life easier. I'm OK with that.
A POWERED SHOVEL??? 😧 It took me a minute to wrap my head around that.
Then I caught the SNOW part. (We don't get a lot of snow down here.) :lau

A POWERED SHOVEL???😧 It took me a minute to wrap my head around that.
Then I caught the SNOW part. (We don't get a lot of snow down here.) :lau

Yeah, they are kind of new around here, too. That's why I posted a picture of it. They are only good for light snow or for clearing the deck and sidewalks. Since you can just slide the powered snow shovel along the ground, sidewalk or the deck boards without having to lift the snow, it saves wear and tear on my back. Using the powered snow shovel for the small jobs reduces the hours I put on my big, expensive, gas powered snowblower.

Come to think of it, I don't have any other m-12 tools. I may consider another line.
I always used Makita when I was in business, (HVAC control contractor) and I was very pleased with it. I was at one of the Pawn Shops today and they had 'new' Makita circular saws, 7 3/4" w/ 2 batteries, charger and bag for $200.
I'm glad you said something about the standard blades, I hadn't considered that.
As long as I can slice through a 2X4" I'm good.
I'm very happy with my Milwaukee drill, mini chain saw, and pruning tool. I've not yet used the reciprocating saw I purchased earlier this year.

Yeah, they are kind of new around here, too. That's why I posted a picture of it. They are only good for light snow or for clearing the deck and sidewalks. Since you can just slide the powered snow shovel along the ground, sidewalk or the deck boards without having to lift the snow, it saves wear and tear on my back. Using the powered snow shovel for the small jobs reduces the hours I put on my big, expensive, gas powered snowblower.
That would work here, we usually get 1 or 2 snowfalls of about 1-2" each. Occasionally we'll get something more substantial, like 4".
Last year? Not a flake. :yesss:

That [battery powered snow shovel] would work here, we usually get 1 or 2 snowfalls of about 1-2" each. Occasionally we'll get something more substantial, like 4".
Last year? Not a flake. :yesss:

Probably perfect for your area. There is no way I would chose my powered shovel over my real heavy-duty gas snowblower where I live. But the powered snow shovel is very handy for light snows and cleaning off the decks and sidewalks. Like I said, when I was a younger man I would not even look twice at this power shovel, but those years are behind me and I don't mind gadgets that make my life easier. Shoveling snow can be a heart attack in the waiting.

One other advantage to the powered shovel I posted a picture of is that it is a lower unit universal attachment for a powerhead. That same 40v powerhead can be used for a grass trimmer, edger, brush cutter, power broom, and mini tiller - all universal attachments that I have for my powerheads. Even better, in my case, is that I also have the 18v powerhead so I can use all those attachments with all my 18v powerhead and batteries.

I think you can even get a universal attachment to make a pole saw. I don't need one of those as I purchased a Ryobi 18v pole saw years ago and that is still working as good as new.

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee drill, mini chain saw, and pruning tool. I've not yet used the reciprocating saw I purchased earlier this year.

I use my reciprocating saw all the time. In fact, I have 3 reciprocating saws that were part of kits I purchased over the years. I usually have a pruning blade in one saw, a demolition blade in another, and a metal cutting blade in the third saw. I'm a big fan of reciprocating saws and use mine at least a couple times a week.

Those new pruning tools look interesting, but the Ryobi pruning tool is pretty expensive so it is taking me a bit longer to talk myself into getting one.

1694913156020.png

1694913193099.png

$149.00 is a lot of money for a tool only pruner when you compare that to Menard's version currently on sale for $69.99 with battery and charger...

1694913452224.png

:idunno Someone please tell me the difference between these tools? Looks almost the same to me.

I use my reciprocating saw all the time. In fact, I have 3 reciprocating saws that were part of kits I purchased over the years. I usually have a pruning blade in one saw, a demolition blade in another, and a metal cutting blade in the third saw. I'm a big fan of reciprocating saws and use mine at least a couple times a week.

Those new pruning tools look interesting, but the Ryobi pruning tool is pretty expensive so it is taking me a bit longer to talk myself into getting one.

View attachment 3637382
View attachment 3637383

$149.00 is a lot of money for a tool only pruner when you compare that to Menard's version currently on sale for $69.99 with battery and charger...

View attachment 3637387

:idunno Someone please tell me the difference between these tools? Looks almost the same to me.
Brand name and color?

@fuzzi stated: Brand name and color?

That's exactly my point. There are only a limited number of factories that make these tools. Lots of times all they do is paint it a different color and rebrand it. Underneath, everything could be the same.

Case in point, Harbor Freight deals with the same Chinese companies that make the "name brand" tools and just slap one of their labels on it instead. When a name brand tool company sues Harbor Freight for that practice, you can pretty much assume the tool color was changed, the tool was rebranded, but everything else came off the same factory floor.

⚠️ Having said that, you should never assume that the knock-off batteries sold on Amazon are anywhere near the same quality as the original brand batteries. YouTube video after video tests these batteries out and I don't think I have yet to see an off-brand battery with the performance or quality build of the original brand batteries. That's why they can undercut the cost by half or more. It's not the same battery. You might be happy with the performance of the knock-off battery considering its lower price, but it almost certainly will not have the rated capacity, performance, or warranty as the original battery.

Back
Top Bottom