Disabled chicken laying eggs?

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
Could a disabled chicken (with a twisted tibia who can limp about but finds it hard to move around and/or stand up for very long) lay eggs? Do they need to get into a certain position that she might not be able to manage?

Could a disabled chicken (with a twisted tibia who can limp about but finds it hard to move around and/or stand up for very long) lay eggs? Do they need to get into a certain position that she might not be able to manage?

I had a splash orpington hen that began life with a slipped tendon. She was not brought to me until ten days after it happened, and I could not fix it. At first she could hop around, but as she grew, and got heavier, she could not. I got her a baby's car seat, and she could sit in it, such that the angle of the seat kept her head and chest up, so she could see the world. Of course, she had to be protected from other chickens, so she lived with me. I kept her "bucket" by my bed at night. I took her everywhere, trying to keep her life worth living for her. She lived 5 and a half years.

She laid her first egg when she was about 4. I was amazed! I was sure some other hen had gotten in somehow. After a while I put it together that, whenever I had a rooster inside for a day or two, for some reason, my hen would lay eggs for a few days.

In the time she was laying, she laid perhaps 30 eggs total. She did it all while lying in her bucket, kinda half on her side, half on her chest, one leg crooked our at an angle to the side. Such a dear girl! I miss her constantly. I really do.

Her name was Baby. She loved bananas, and oatmeal with brown sugar and butter, but her favorite was cheesecake. I know. That stuff was bad for her. But, she had so little to make her happy. I just didn't see the down side to letting her eat what she liked best. I loved her so.

Long answer. Yes. They can lay eggs. Sort of. 😊
IMG_20171208_160428_351.jpg
photo_1614334743389.jpg

Maybe, maybe not.
Can she get around good enough to eat and drink and stay healthy?
How old is this bird, in months?
How and when was the leg injured?

They squat or sit down when they lay usually.
When the egg actually emerges, they stand almost fully upright.

I had a splash orpington hen that began life with a slipped tendon. She was not brought to me until ten days after it happened, and I could not fix it. At first she could hop around, but as she grew, and got heavier, she could not. I got her a baby's car seat, and she could sit in it, such that the angle of the seat kept her head and chest up, so she could see the world. Of course, she had to be protected from other chickens, so she lived with me. I kept her "bucket" by my bed at night. I took her everywhere, trying to keep her life worth living for her. She lived 5 and a half years.

She laid her first egg when she was about 4. I was amazed! I was sure some other hen had gotten in somehow. After a while I put it together that, whenever I had a rooster inside for a day or two, for some reason, my hen would lay eggs for a few days.

In the time she was laying, she laid perhaps 30 eggs total. She did it all while lying in her bucket, kinda half on her side, half on her chest, one leg crooked our at an angle to the side. Such a dear girl! I miss her constantly. I really do.

Her name was Baby. She loved bananas, and oatmeal with brown sugar and butter, but her favorite was cheesecake. I know. That stuff was bad for her. But, she had so little to make her happy. I just didn't see the down side to letting her eat what she liked best. I loved her so.

Long answer. Yes. They can lay eggs. Sort of. 😊
View attachment 2545742View attachment 2545743

@DarkWater1929 this is such a beautiful story, it made me feel quite tearful when I read it! Thank you for sharing! I really love my disabled chicken too, so much. She causes me so much heartache but also a lot of joy because I know that life is hard for her so when she enjoys something it makes me extra happy.
Thank you xxx

Attachments

• 5B598324-7CC4-43CC-BDDE-73C5D84CB865.jpeg
    5B598324-7CC4-43CC-BDDE-73C5D84CB865.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 16
Maybe, maybe not.

She can stand! :) so I hope she can manage it 💛

When the egg actually emerges, they stand almost fully upright.

Maybe, maybe not.

Hello!

She hatched with a limp which got worse and worse.

She can limp around to eat and drink no problem. Her only problem seems to be getting poop on her in various places. I held off giving her a bath but twice now when she has been really dirty with dried poo I’ve given her a little bath and blow dry and OMG SHE LOVES IT.

She is 12 weeks old 💛

Back
Top Bottom