Disabled chicken

Pinkfairy

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Doncaster
We have just taken on a pet hen about 8 weeks old who we think is blind in one eye due to being attacked at a few hours old and was pecked in it , so was hand raised because of this and seems very happy in herself and loving life . Her neck seems to be off centre and a lump ( presuming crop) is at the left hand side a bit . Her tail bends to the right and stays Like that so I'm thinking is this to balance ? . Could it be wry neck ? And could it be treated ....like I say she seems happy in herself and loves human cuddles and attention so font want to have to do anything drastic as she is a very much loved pet . Thanks in advance xx

Is the presumed crop on her right upper chest? Could you post any pictures of your chicken’s eye, and body showing the problem areas? Do you use anything in the eye? Wry neck or torticolis is common in chickens, and can be a neurological sign. Some causes are head or neck injury, vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, genetics, and it may occur in infectious certain diseases. Most people use vitamin E 400 IU daily, along with some vitamin B complex or thiamin, and a few bits of scrambled egg for selenium.

Some chickens may have a spinal deformity that could appear like wry neck. Chickens with a spondylopathy deformity can experience compression of spinal nerves at some point, which can cause paralysis of the legs. Wry tail is also a possible problem where the tail goes to one side. That is not serious and sill not affect her quality of life.

It sounds like she has a great home with you.

Sorry for late response I've been quite busy . The lump ( poss crop) is on her left and tail goes to the right .
I've got them all on some vitamin you put in their water but where could I get a better one please ?
She eats and drinks well but as soon as you pick her up she sleeps but I think that may be she feels safer as I've tried testing her eyesight and she definitely has a problem seeing out of that eye . She is currently in with the 2 she grew up with at the same age but don't think she will be able to be integrated with my older ones as she just stands still if they go near her or go to peck her where the others run and avoid them .
As long as she is ok in herself I wonder if we could keep her alone and just free range her if we are there supervising as the 2 she is with are going back when we can settle her we kind of leant them 😂
Can see us having a house chicken at this rate 🙈😂

Attachments

• 20201105_090524.jpg
    20201105_090524.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201105_090206.jpg
    20201105_090206.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201105_090203.jpg
    20201105_090203.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201105_095708.jpg
    20201105_095708.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 3
She does appear crooked doesn’t she? It appears that she has wry neck and a wry tail as well. She could also have a spondylopathy which some call “roach back,” a spinal deformity. Human vitamins from Walgreens or elsewhere are fine to use, the dosages I posted above in my last post. Here is a thread with a chicken with a spinal deformity which includes some links and pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chicken-not-walking.1311848/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-her-back-pics.883438/

Back
Top Bottom