Whats wrong with her back? (Pics)

Fowl Mouth

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
Midwest USA
Sultan hen, around 1 year old. Just purchased. I was told the hen had a "sore foot" which is why she limps. Her feet both look perfectly fine, no issues with them at all that I can see. However, her back or hips have some sort of issue.

She has very little muscle in her left leg. She can walk, and does walk with a severe limp, more of a lazy and slow hopping gait, but if her leg gets caught on a weed or something in the yard, she is unable to lift the leg up and over it. She tries, but simply has zero muscle ability to lift the leg. She can stand on the leg, and can move the toes normally and can grip with the foot lightly, just cannot lift it over obstacles or use it to scratch her head, for example.

When she crouches for bedding down at night, her hips (?) jab out of her back and make two pointy mountains.

Her wings also stay very droopy and loose, she does not hold them properly. Her tail also remains down and drags the ground. Her body form can be likened to a guinea when she is up and about, rounded back, dropped tail, low wingset. I checked for possible egg binding to explain the wings and tail, did not feel anything.

She eats and drinks well enough, is thin but not severely underweight. Her nostrils are clear. Eye is bright and clear. No sign of gapeworm. No girgling or rattling sounds when she breathes. Not covered in mites or lice, though she did have some and I used DE on her.

Any idea what is wrong with this hen? I was told nothing of any hip or back issues, only that she had a "sore foot" from being "kept on wire" which I am doubting since this looks like a little more than just a sore foot.

I have never seen anything like this, and from what you describe, I think I would take her back. Someone earlier today posted about a "roach back hen" but I don't know if this fits or not. Here are some links to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/612300/humpback-chicken
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-it-mean-and-how-do-you-know-your-bird-has-it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882704/hunchback-of-the-chicken-coop

I wont take her back, but she will end up as a pet. I would, however, like to know what kind of issues she has which the seller was apparently completely oblivious to so that I can pass the word along to others who may be considering making purchases from the same person.

Also, it would be nice to know if her issues are genetic or not, or if they are causing her pain (which they don't seem to be, they just seem to be a nuisance for her in general when she cannot make her legs move the way she wants them to.)

Thanks for your reply and the links. If you happen to come across anything more closely related to this hen in particular, feel free to get back with me. :)

Last edited:
Friend of mine is going to be taking this hen, she has another special needs hen that will likely make a good companion for this little oddball.

I also found out this hen originally came from Cackle Hatchery last fall... and if it's genetic, I wonder how many other birds they sold have the same problems. I contacted them to ask, and sent them photos to get their opinion on what could be wrong, or if they have seen other birds like her. Will update this if/when they reply.

Back
Top Bottom