disabled chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by virgilini, Jul 14, 2008.

1. virgilini

virgilini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Thanks for all the great responses. I did however have her euthanized this afternoon. I took her to my vet and she gave her an injection in her kiel and she went peacefully in a few minutes. She just fell asleep.

Spotted Crow, I felt the same way, as long as she's eating and pooping (which she was) she should be OK. Unfortunately, she struggled and struggled to stand and walk and kept falling over and dragging herself along with her beak. During her struggles she made peeping noises and over the last month or so was only happy when I was holding her. When I put her down she would struggle and try to stand and get over to me. It just broke my heart to watch her frustration. I hope this message is legible since I can't see too well what I'm typing through my tears. I feel like there's a hole in my heart. I'm having her cremated so I can have her with me forever. This is a terrible thing to say but I didn't cry this much when my father passed away. That pile of feathers had such a strangle hold on my heart strings. I miss her terribly already but I'm sure she's in a better place where she can stand and walk and scratch to her hearts content. Rest In Peace Chickie Momma. Til we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

K [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, how sad. I think you made the right decision - it would have been worse for her to continue to struggle to get around.

She had a couple extra good years thanks to your TLC!

You were a good and faithful friend to your girl. HUGS [​IMG]

3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I think you did the right thing too.
    I just culled a month old chick that had a leg deformity and had a hard time getting around. I decided to do her in before she got big and really had problems. It was the first cull I have ever done and it was hard. I am glad I did it though.
    Once they are having a real hard time getting around it is not only hard on them but it is hard to watch.
    It is so sad that poultry is neglected in the vet medicine world.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have the same situation and I don't know what to do either. I have a disabled BO hen who can't walk (she was born slightly deformed but at 10 months old stopped being able to walk and I couldn't figure out why). She has her own little pen out on the grass with a little hutch where I feed her individually. It's been more than 4 months that she's lived there. I thought she would die, but she just always stays the same. She started laying eggs again to my surprise and she 'seems' happy enough despite her inability to move around much. She just hobbles sometimes on the backs of her hocks. Other hens 'visit' with her sometimes by hanging out at her cage. But although her life seems somewhat miserable and i'm sure she has some pain and she's always thin despite me feeding her alot and giving her vitamins, I can barely bring myself to put her down because she kind of seems happy in there just sitting and occassionally hobbling. I mean, she's laying eggs, so doesn't that mean she's happy and comfy? She purrs at me when I come to feed her (usually special worms and such) and she's so used to me picking her up to put her in her dust bath that she lifts her wings and 'gets ready' to be lifted up when I come by.

You did what you felt was right and best for her and you had mercy on her -- these decisions are a process.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. virgilini

Jan 16, 2007
    Susan and L&S chickens,
    Thank you for your kind words. I know it was the right thing to do but I miss her so much. I used to pick her up and hug her and I swear she would hug me back. She would curl her neck around mine. Who would have thought. A chicken?

I would have thought that doing the right thing would make me feel better but I don't.

K [​IMG]

6. virgilini

Jan 16, 2007
    chickenannie,
    It does sound the same. As long as my hen was able to get around a bit it was OK. She even layed a few eggs over the last year. Maybe 6 or so. My hen was pretty content and happy too just up until about a month ago. She couldn't get around at all and I could see her frustration. I hadn't seen that before then. Sounds like your hen is still OK. I would just love her and be with her and see what happens. My hen used to lift her wings too to be picked up! It's amazing what wonderful things occur when an animal trusts you. Good luck with her.

K

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm so sorry. I'm typing through tears and she wasn't even mine. I'm just so heartbroken when we have to euthanize the pets we love so much. I can see the hole in your heart from here, Virgilini. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way....[​IMG]

8. virgilini

Jan 16, 2007
    oldtimegator,

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It's very helpful to know that there are so many great people on this website who understand.

K

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    [​IMG]
    (hold down cTRL and scroll to make print larger)
    I am so very sorry for your loss... I believe she may have had cancer (there are many slow growing types that hit chickens) that was causing this. :aww

10. virgilini

Jan 16, 2007
    dlhunicorn,
    thank you so much for that beautiful poem. I'm so touched by the kind words and sympathies from all the members who responded. My heart really aches. I've never lost a pet that was that close to me. When I first scooped her up and took her from the coop a year ago, I had no idea I would get so attached to her. She wormed her feathery little self right into my heart. I miss her so much. Thank you again.

K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by