Disabled Chickens as Indoor Pets

Jul 27, 2018
Granite Falls, WA
E1510C35-F4DA-4BB8-8B50-7CB68EC237FC.jpeg
I took in a disabled chick a couple months ago. He had a slipped tendon that couldn’t be fixed. He can’t walk but he gets around by flinging himself with his good leg and flapping. We’ve tried slings, round donut beds, etc but he hadn’t tolerated anything. He’s the most comfortable making himself cozy in his cage on soft wood chips. He has the biggest attitude and enjoys throwing tantrums. He’s honestly difficult to work with most days, but the last few days have been amazing and worth it. He is finally not fighting help and he’s been much happier. He’s more lively if that makes sense. He happily clucks when he gets treats and is finally enjoying life. He gets time to stretch and flap his wings at least once a day outside (weather permitting.) He is now an 8 week old teenager. We’ve named him Beans. I’d love to hear stories and see your disabled chickens, especially adult hens or roosters.

When I have a free Pen I keep disabled chickens in one pen, Most die eventually because I end up with too many to tend to and get all my work done. Some survive and heal to the point they can survive on their own and they go out to a flock. Rarely do I keep males alive because sadly there is no demand for a male who can't breed or defend hens. Females that can lay I give away to people who buy chickens from me if they have the perfect set up for them. I have only had 3 survive Wounded chicken pen, 1 was adopted out to a lady who had the right type of situation for her and she lays an egg a day or did when I gave her away. 2 are in my free range flock that have had full recoveries. Most die because of the volume of chickens I have and I lack the resources to take them to a vet or the time to research every ailment. Alls I can do for them is to individually bring them to water and feed once a day. And some start to move themselves to survive and others eventually die.
Currently I do not have a free pen for wounded, disabled or sick chickens and when they occur in this heat they do not last long. It's sad but that's the life of livestock, they are not beneficial to a set up so they tend to get culled.

We had a cockerel break a leg in a couple places and removed about 75% of his skin around a leg as a baby- but he was an awesome sport and a friendly dude! Now he's out with the flock and nobody bugs him- he sticks close to the ramp during the day and goes and roosts with the others at night. He's lucky to be such a light-built guy - from our smallest hen and smallest rooster- so his deformed leg doesn't have to support much weight and with help from his wings, he gets around. =)

Please if you have experiences with housing and helping your disabled chickens who can’t live outside with the flock, share your stories.

How can you let them suffer and slowly die? That’s barbaric. This was intended to be a PET post.

Have you discovered chicken diapers? If you're set up to have a chicken/rooster as an indoor pet and nobody inside will harm them (i.e. a cat or dog), training them to wear the diaper can allow more freedom. Also - some have created kind of a wheel cart for disabled chickens to move around (inside) - like they do for a dog or cat missing front or back legs so they can more easily more around.

When I have a free Pen I keep disabled chickens in one pen, Most die eventually because I end up with too many to tend to and get all my work done. Some survive and heal to the point they can survive on their own and they go out to a flock. Rarely do I keep males alive because sadly there is no demand for a male who can't breed or defend hens. Females that can lay I give away to people who buy chickens from me if they have the perfect set up for them. I have only had 3 survive Wounded chicken pen, 1 was adopted out to a lady who had the right type of situation for her and she lays an egg a day or did when I gave her away. 2 are in my free range flock that have had full recoveries. Most die because of the volume of chickens I have and I lack the resources to take them to a vet or the time to research every ailment. Alls I can do for them is to individually bring them to water and feed once a day. And some start to move themselves to survive and others eventually die.
Currently I do not have a free pen for wounded, disabled or sick chickens and when they occur in this heat they do not last long. It's sad but that's the life of livestock, they are not beneficial to a set up so they tend to get culled.
umm... Is this supposed to be pets? It sounds pretty sad to me....

64C7C8BF-2831-4F60-9C5E-0ACBF216CBBD.jpeg
5BA418AE-51D4-4508-A98F-74E87575D93C.jpeg
I have the same questions! I’ve had chickens for around 4 years. Just last month I was given a chick that was one of 9 hatched in a classroom/incubator. The teacher didn’t notice she had a splayed leg right away. She splinted it and I also tried splinting it once I took her home. Nothing has worked. Now I’m trying to give this chicken a good life who can not be with the flock. She gets around exactly how you describe that your chick does! I’m wondering if putting her in a large rabbit type indoor cage would be best for her? She is currently in an ex-large plastic tote with chicken wire over it. We keep her on our porch or in the garage. She even went on vacation with us. She is loved for sure!

This is an older post, so I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this? But here is my 2 cents :)

I have a 5 month old Partridge Chantecler rooster, Limpy, who had a slipped tendon that didn't respond to splinting. He was being bullied when he was with the rest of his flock of 10, so now I keep him in my house. I have ordered a chicken wheelchair for him, and am patiently awaiting its arrival. In the meantime, I use a diaper for him, take him outside when I can be with him to be sure he's safe, and he sleeps in an extra-large rubber maid bin with shavings at night (beside my bed lol). Limpy is very sweet, and the most talkative of my chickens. He seems happy, though his life is far from what a "normal" rooster life would be. If that changes, I will euthanize him for sure, but for now and happy to do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable and happy!

I would love to hear from others who are in a similar situation. Did any of you get a companion animal for your disabled bird? I have a calm but larger older dog at home as well, but Jersey and Limpy are kind of indifferent to each other.

Back
Top Bottom