Disappearing chickens

Wackums

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
I had 27 chickens just 2 monthes ago and now I'm down to 20. By the time I had lost 3 chickens, my neighbor lost 5-6 that same week. He found out his problem was a hawk, but for several weeks I had my chickens locked up (got a lavender orpington from the neighbors so I had to integrate him carefully) and that's when I lost 5 chickens. Only lost 1 rooster to this mystery but 7 hens got got too. No signs except for one when I had them let loose, but that was the hawk. Every other mystery happened at night in my coop. The only ways it could get in is through holes for a dog pen about 2x2 inches or less, the neton the roof, or by digging. There has been no digging outside my coop, the net has no holes in it or other entrances through that, and there's no blood, feathers, bodies, any signs of anybody disappearing. If you didn't know any better about the amount you had and counted them regularly, you'd think nothing of it and go on with your day. No signs whatso ever and I can't stress that enough. If they got the chicken out through the holes I mentioned, it'd skin them alive and maybe rip the wings off. No possible way they could fit without it. No way through the roof, however at the start I thought it was a hawk or raccoons because I had a hole but I fixed it better than ever. It's kentucky here, they're disappearing at night. My last thread on this thought coyotes, a owl *but the owl would have to be big enough to pick up jersey giants, the first rooster I got was 15 pounds, thing wore me out like a rag doll*, hawks, or people. My dad and close friends thinks it's a person, but 1 person thinks it's a group of raccoons, but I don't see how they could get out. I'm going to move them to the barn in a stable soon. The animal/person isn't afraid of my dog either. She's a mutt with great pyrenees in her.

At night - more than likely a coon. Can you lock the coop up tight? As in close the chicken door? They are amazingly clever, and quite handy. After you close the doors up tight to the run, inside the run put a live trap, baited with tuna or marshmallows.

In the morning you should have your answer, it may take a few days.

Hawks and coyotes are almost always day time predators for me, the bird is just gone, seldom any feathers even. Coons or mink at night, but mink or weasels are at night, but often weasels will leave the bird. Coons can tear them apart right there, or carry them off somewhere else.

I hate predators. Ugh! And once they find you, they come back.

Mrs K

At night - more than likely a coon. Can you lock the coop up tight? As in close the chicken door? They are amazingly clever, and quite handy. After you close the doors up tight to the run, inside the run put a live trap, baited with tuna or marshmallows.

Hawks and coyotes are almost always day time predators for me, the bird is just gone, seldom any feathers even. Coons or mink at night, but mink or weasels are at night, but often weasels will leave the bird. Coons can tear them apart right there, or carry them off somewhere else.

Mrs K
I counted my chickens at night and it's tight. It's to the point it can be hard for me to open back up, unless I'm weak I don't think a raccoon could get it. There's only a door for people in it too. There's only minks in my area that I know of and I know it isn't that little son of a gun again. He slaughtered over 15 ducks and 35 chickens last time he was around. The hawk I mentioned got only 1 of my hens, and he isn't even very big. He's the size of a bany. The coyotes would have to dig, but I haven't had any problem with them here. Also, with the raccoons, could it do it 7 times without a trace? And where would it get the chicken out from with what I've mentioned?

There's only minks in my area that I know of and I know it isn't that little son of a gun again.
Doesn't mean there's not another around.

The only ways it could get in is through holes for a dog pen about 2x2 inches or less, the neton the roof,
2x2 is an open door for weasel family members....the the net might be easily breached by lifting an edge and you'd never know unless you saw it happen.

We do but nothings showing up
Where is it pointed at?

Could you take some flour in a sifter and sprinkle it around you coop after you lock them up and then check for footprints in the morning? I had to do this to see what was eating all the cat food at night. possum.

You'd be amazed at how small an area a fox needs. It drug my guinea out through a gap that you knew was not possible. I found a small area of blood on the underside of the stall board where it drug out the guinea.

Move your camera around. I have several game cameras. Here at night when most of the predators are roaming I get a picture on at least one of the cameras. Strange you're not seeing anything on your camera. Here we have mostly coyotes. The dates on the pictures are wrong for whatever reason. I reset them then a few days later they are off on the dates and often time the times too.
DSCF0008125 09.jpg
DSCF0001121 09.jpg

Mrs K. Good idea about a trap in the pen. I have caught about 4 coons, 1 skunk and about 3 opossums, but luckily they were all caught in my hazelnut patch last year. Also, when you do put the trap in the pen, you might want to put a board under it, cause we had a coon go up on top the trap and push it down in the dirt so the door wouldn't shut. They are very clever.

Back
Top Bottom