Disappointed in our meat birds

Yep in thinking on my first chicken exposure… gg got like a bulk order of straight run, all the boys were destined for the freezer unless a new rooster was needed. Then a few girls were chosen for the coop… all others slaughtered.

Yes they were perfect for fried chicken. GG never “rested” meat… or aged it, even the home raised beef was not aged (fresh beef tastes completely different than aged). They slaughtered and used that day, or froze it ASAP.

Not saying this will be what the average person is used to… but I still think those leghorns tasted the best ever. Chicken I bought from store before just giving up on meat, tasted terrible to me.

Older birds they slow cooked.

If I ever go back to eating meat, I will have to raise it, just do not like what is served and sold. Tastes old, looks old, smells old to me.
That is because, it is old. And a lot of other things. Any of our Backyard Birds are better. Anyone who cares about their birds will raise a better bird for laying or eating than the stuff sold at Safeway/any stores.

And how about flavor? I can't believe how flavorful our homegrown chicken is compared to the store-bought we used to buy.
Flavor is related to how you keep them, what they eat, & how clean you process them as well as how long they live.
Most backyard raisers are horrified at getting any poop on the meat, and wash it off instantly. The industrial slaughter plant, not so much. Bleach water bath anyone? Tasty?
We feed our birds pet quality feed. Green grass. Lots of room, no poop where they roost. I could continue, but you get the idea. :drool

Yep they taste better. I told a coworker used to home grown and killed chickens that and she thought it was untrue, so for lunch one day she bought a store bought roast chicken… she told me she couldn’t eat, had to throw it away. Absolutely found it disgusting, all the other coworkers used to eating old chicken were all what do you guys mean it tastes bad, we eat those all the time.

My friend was all “now I know why you went vegetarian“

Flavor is related to how you keep them, what they eat, & how clean you process them as well as how long they live.
Most backyard raisers are horrified at getting any poop on the meat, and wash it off instantly. The industrial slaughter plant, not so much. Bleach water bath anyone? Tasty?
We feed our birds pet quality feed. Green grass. Lots of room, no poop where they roost. I could continue, but you get the idea. :drool
I think flavor is how you season and cook them. I watched how the French poached their Bresse chicken and I also watched how a Thai chef made their Tom Yum Gai.

I tried the French way and today was my first attempt at making Tom Yum Gai. I was missing some stuff like Galanga (Thai ginger) and lime juice. I managed to put together most of the ingredients. I used regular ginger and vinegar for replacement. The taste all came together when I poured in the coconut milk. It was a wow moment, I like it better than the French way.

I don't think the type of chicken used in this dish would change the taste.

Coconut milk is one of those game changer ingredients.

I made a dish years ago that was French in origin when I ate meat it actually had a red wine base. It was very good. Wish I could remember the name, but it did change my thinking on only white wine with chicken.

I think flavor is how you season and cook them. I watched how the French poached their Bresse chicken and I also watched how a Thai chef made their Tom Yum Gai.

I tried the French way and today was my first attempt at making Tom Yum Gai. I was missing some stuff like Galanga (Thai ginger) and lime juice. I managed to put together most of the ingredients. I used regular ginger and vinegar for replacement. The taste all came together when I poured in the coconut milk. It was a wow moment, I like it better than the French way.

I don't think the type of chicken used in this dish would change the taste.
This recipe must have the lime leaves, it was a good thing I had a small lime plant. The leaf kicks it up a notch.

The only chicken that surprised me was a Barbeziuex chicken. The meat on this chicken has a different color, texture and taste, in comparison to the Cornish cross. Its like a cross between a duck or pheasant.

I am crossing them with my Bresse chicken, so they reach mature weight faster. They take a long time to reach 4 lbs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom