Disappointing EE's eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chiques chicks, Sep 27, 2012.

1. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 EE'S. I ordered then on a whim at the local feed/ pet store this spring to add variety to my eggs. The owner (and hatchery flyer) said Americauna, but I knee better, I was fine with EE.

They are now beginning to lay. Big disappointment. Not sure how many are laying, but all the eggs are beige to light brown, a few shades lighter than my 2 SLW.

Is this common? Eggs are eggs, I was just hoping for variety for my friends. I know the color won't change, I'm OK with it. Should I tell the place I got them from so they can warn people next year?

Thanks, needed to vent.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    With EEs having mixed heritage quite a few of them end up laying brown eggs. Sorry you didn't get the colorful eggs you wanted though [​IMG]

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment. My EEs arrive next week. I reallly hope I get some pretty egg colors. This makes me worry.

4. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    That is a huge bummer when you were expecting some variety with your egg coloring. Out of my 9 EE's I only have 1 that lays a light brown with dark spots. I'm ok with it because I knew going in that they were a mutt breed and brown eggs could be a possibility.

5. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I feel your pain. I bought two a couple of years ago. One bird developed the beard and ear tufts - she laid green eggs. The other developed neither physical trait and laid light, light brown eggs. Now follow this; I bought an EE roo and hatched an egg from each of them. The green egg hatched into a bird that was a carbon-copy of her mom - beard, tufts, etc - beautiful. She lays light brown eggs. The light brown egg hatched to be a clone of her mom - none of those tell-tale traits.... she lays green eggs! [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. chiques chicks

my disappointment isn't great, mostly for my city friends. I'll probably just end up letting one of my excess Swedish flower hen roos breed work them in the spring and see what happens.

7. chiques chicks

But I don't like brown eggs and ham, I want green eggs and Ham with with Sam!
    :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by