Disaster averted!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sred98, Nov 21, 2010.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Our favorite little bantam frizzle has been missing for almost a week. I've been searching all over the property for her, and haven't found so much as a feather. [​IMG] Today I was over by the chicken barn and heard her calling me. She's not a loud bird, so I started searching everywhere. I happened to look down and saw her inside a roll of barbed wire!

I picked up the roll and ran inside with her. It took my husband and I almost an hour of unwinding before we could get her out! I have no idea how she survived all week outside like that! It's been freezing and flooding. Not to mention the predators! She was skinny and thirsty, but only stayed inside an hour before she wanted back out.

I just wanted to post this to warn everyone that this could happen. I know this chicken and her habits and knew she wasn't one to wander off. She sticks close to the house and barn, and that was what almost killed her! It would have been a shame to find her too late. She's a family favorite with a great personality and such a cutie! I would have never thought she could fit in there. She has been really appreciative today! Following us around for treats and talking to us when we go outside.

Shelly

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

What a close call

Lucky bird & lucky you

Imp

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    So glad you found her!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    So happy you found her,
    i wasn't so lucky with one of mine she had jumped up on a big plastic flower pot in our old horse barn and it toppled over on her, it was a month before DH found her, all the time we thought something gotten her.

Do you have a photo of the lucky one to share?

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I will find a picture. She's such a lovebug! She's a real homebody, too. The boys tried showing her in 4H and she hates it so much! We tried 2 different shows and she gets so depressed she just lays in the bottom of the cage. The judges don't even glance at her and she's gorgeous!

That is awful about the flower pot! I did turn over a crate and pot while looking for her. She's been broody, and I thought she might be on a nest, but she wasn't in the barn. I just knew something wasn't right, but it was luck that I found her. I've walked by there 30 times or more in the past week. Don't know why I saw her or heard her today, but we are so glad to have her back. It would have been awful to have her right there and not find her til it was too late.

Shelly

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The barbed wire probably protected her from predators. So glad you found her.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That happened to a teenager chick of mine, a RIR pullet, except it was a terra cotta pot, and I found her later in the afternoon when I picked it up to mow under it. It was in June and she roasted in the heat I'm sure [​IMG]s

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    What a relief!

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Boy it's never too late to have a real good look around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by