Disaster, now depression

ssteiner

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Orange, CA
Well my experiment in chickens came to a disastrous conclusion today. After just 7 weeks, my adorable girls, Rita and Judy, were attacked by my runt daschunds and killed. They got through an open door while the girls were freeranging. I feel sick about it. I can't decide whether I want to try again or if I should just hang it up.

Very sad and just so like those lovable doxies! Try again, but maybe do something different, maybe fence off an area with cover for freerange? Good luck!

eta: to add a hug

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am so sorry you lost your 2 girls. Please don't give up on chickens they are great. Just make them a secure place to live and play. Good luck

I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me my first go around. It was a wild raccoon that got mine but it was totally my fault since their coop wasn't secure. I learned and moved on and tried again and we have made it 6 months without any more problems. I hope you try again.
hugs.gif

So sorry that happened.....I had a similar experience, but keep going. I agree, fence off an area that they can free range in. I had to divide my backyard so I could get chickens, my doggies are horrible chick killers.

So sorry for your loss.
hit.gif
th.gif
I agree with the other posts. Try again. Maybe fence in an area with for free range. There is a collar available that has like a remote control. You push a button on it and it beeps. If the dog still doesn't do what you want, another button will give the dog a shock. It's used for training dogs. Every time the dog gets too close to the chickens beep first then if no response shock. Another option a fenced in area for you dog.
I have an area fenced off for my birds more to keep them from destroying my crops. They get into the plots and destroy everything. Right now they are in part of my corn field. Within the next couple of weeks I will move them to another section of the corn field, They make good tillers and scratch everything up.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
old.gif

I've been there. Anger at the dogs for misbehaving. Anger with yourself for letting it happen. And, lots of sadness over the loss. It will get better though. I promise.

There are some options to make sure it doesn't happen again. Like a chicken tractor for the chickens. A fence for the dogs. If you can't do a regular fence for the dogs, then maybe one of those radio fences. Good luck to you, and don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm sorry that you lost your girls.

I agree that you should try again after putting up some good fencing for the new chickens.

I am so sorry you lost your girls...I understand the depression....Please start again chickens are great therapy.......Good luck...do not trust the dog...once they taste chicken blood they will always go after them...I use elecric fence around mine
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom