Disaster Stikes.....

And CochinBrahmaLover.................

Thank you.... It is SOOOOOOOO nice to know I am NOT a freak thinking this was my fault.......
You would be surprised how many people told me "OMG, like, she had you take care of her chickens and then they went LOCO and you are blaming yourself?"
OMFG, REALLY?????? My Coop is MORE than large enough to handle 40 birds.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was NOT HER fault..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was MINE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I should have thought of more "entertaining" things for them to do.... I should have thought of SOMETHING.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And DO NOT TRY TO BLAME ANYTHING ON MY FRIEND CAUSE I WILL SQUASH YOU LIKE A FLIPPING COCKROACH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
(Seriously, I would DUMP ANYONE in my life if they tried to put HER down...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
(and I did one person already!)

And....... I can not handle blood and gore, (why she took the injured birds home, since I am a chicken myself), and if anything EVER goes wrong I DO blame myself...!
Everything was going good, and then.............. BOOM.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby tells me that if I can not handle stuff like that, I should NEVER have gotten chickens.............
WHATEVER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to tell him that as a FEMALE, I am AUTOMATICALLY PROGRAMMED to CARE for ANYTHING under my care............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (including his 2 kids!)
Yet, he does NOT GET IT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, you are like a clone of me, yes you are NOT a freak for thinking this was your fault, but it isn't, like i said before, trust me, i would be freaking out like you thinking of all the reasons it WAS my fault, but you do have to understand is isn't your fault, and its not your friends fault either,, if i had to guess it was just natures way of chickens not getting together or thinking they have to eat because they wouldn't know when their next meal is coming from, or just plain crazy ness. Its not either of yours fault, its just natures way, and I COMPLETELY understand why your freaking out, and you think its your fault. hope everything turns out well

and if i was on your friends side, or your side, i would be thinking "OMG ITS ALL MY FAULT!" and the truth is, its neither of your fault,

Not pinless peepers. There are actual bits that are "c" shaped that go between their upper and lower beaks. You pinch them into place with special pliers that come with. There are plastic ones that my birds did not like at all, pinched too tight. But the metal ones, I can tighten just a wee bit at a time so they don't come off but don't hurt them either, and no they aren't really bothered by them. They get used to them within an hour or so. Pinless peepers would also work as it blocks them from seeing directly in front of them. I'm glad you found something affordable. I don't recall how much I paid for my metal bits but they weren't much. Let us know how the peepers work for you.

Thanks guys. Your kind words mean the world to me....
Hubby said I was not allowed to spend anymore on the birds, so I had to pass on the peepers unfrortunately.... BUT, I went ahead and trimmed the beaks on all the remaining birds (I did a hear count a few days ago, and there are just 16 left from the 43 I had here....
I am also doing the Salt water treatment, and supplementing with boiled meat, fish, veggies, fruit, anything to make then pick on other things than each other..... So far, the coop is peaceful, relaxed, and no one has a single feather out of place..... Although, it is extremely empty... :(

I am now trying to replace our babies by ordering eggs, and coordinating hatches.
My friend is being a GREAT support, but this was a tragic blow for her as well.
I just wish there was a way that I could do something more.... I want to see her smile again...

I already ordered my Black Copper Marans eggs, and Purebred Ameraucanas (for the ones my friend lost), and Gorgeous Olive Eggers.... And I haveGolden Comet, and Black Star, and Australorp and Barred Rock chicks coming.... (Keeping one of each 4 breeds, except the Golden Comets, I think I am keeping 5 of those)
There is just one breed of chicken whose eggs I am missing, and that is either the Exchequer or the White Leghorn....
I did manage to find the Exe's and mailed the seller, but they weren't being very helpful, so I am going to have to look elsewhere. :)
Oh well...

****** Story with the Marans was Icing in the cake. When the eggs arrived, they were left outside in the snow! (I live in Alaska) The Color was GORGEOUS, and I think that made it even hader.... I did go to the post office, and threw a FIT, getting the managers involved, ESPECIALLY that the box said Clearly "LIVE EMBRYOS" and HOLD FOR PICKUP.! My postman even came to the counter and he was really apologetic, even told me he would be willing to buy me more eggs if the seller would not send me replacements.... But, the seller was SUCH A SWEETHEART, and she offered to send me replacements. I feel so BLESSED!)

glad things are good for now, sorry for the chickens you lost
hugs.gif

What an incredible story, I am really sorry for your loss.

Caring about chickens emotionally has nothing to do with being male or female. It has to do with our own personal relationships with our birds. I'm a guy and I've cried my eyes out over losing just one hen before. In time you will recover and I hope the new additions to your flock bring loads of joy to you and your friend. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom