1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disaster!***Update- Hatch saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Solsken Farm, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We are having a run of bad luck. I called my house on the way home from work to find out that one of our dogs had gotten into the incubator while my chicks were hatching. [​IMG] She got a poor newly hatched baby who didn't make it. Luckily my dad was at the house. I drove home sick to my stomach. The humidity and temp in this LG were all out of whack. So many babies are pipped or on their way to being ready to pip. I don't know how badly the hatch is now compromised.[​IMG]

I am trying to stabilize the bator now, but as many of you know, that isn't easy with an LG. I removed the two hatchlings that survived the dang doggie invasion.

Everything was going so well. Please send me extra hatching vibes for the rest of my wellies, and the Buff Orps and the Cuckoos.

It's always something, isn't it?[​IMG]

Edited to add: new title and Update is on page 3

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    *HUGS*

[​IMG] hatch hatch hatch! [​IMG]

3. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So sorry about the dog invastion wishing you much luck with the rest of the hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] {{{{{{{{Vibes being sent}}}}}}}}}

I hope it turns out ok! I'm so sorry [​IMG]

5. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

If it isn't one thing, it's two. Fingers crossed for a better hatch than you expect.

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope your Buff Orps hatch!!!

7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That just stinks....lots-o-prayers heading your way! [​IMG]

8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    oh that stinks! [​IMG] So sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] :aww :aww [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's some awesome hatching vibes heading your way!!!!((((((( [​IMG] [​IMG]))))))) God bless your hatch!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    That more than stinks !!! I have a chicken killer dog also so I know how you feel (you will only hate the dog for a few days) So sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

COME ON CHICKES !!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT HATCH !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh thanks everyone. That poor baby worked so hard, only to be snatched moments after arriving in the world. I feel so guilty! Our dogs are cockers, bred to retrieve birdies. She has always been obsessed with squeak sounds, so the peeping of new chicks drives her wild. We have hatched so many chicks and always been able to keep them safe. She is wonderful with older chicks, she just responds to the tiny peeps, like a squeak toy.

Austin, I have 2 Orps pipped.

The frustrating thing is that I have been trying to get wellies for a long time, and kept missing mothergoose, and then the first shipment of wellie eggs came completely smashed. Lost all 9 of them. These in the hatcher are AussieSharon's replacement 6. So now I am down to 5 and I can't be confident they'll make it.

I still hear peeping, but I am not opening this darn bator. I almost have the temp stable, and I got the humidity down to 70. It had spiked because Chloe, the offender, had spilled the extra cup of water I had put in to keep the humidity up to 55.

Thank you all so much for your vibes. I didn't want to go on anyone else's thread and bring down their joy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by