Discarded Rooster Hit By Car - Need Advice!!! - Update Page 3

Clean away the area and see what you are dealing with... I use hydrogen peroxide and then Furozine on an injury like that... and just keep him eating... If infection sets in you may need to do injectable antibiotics... (all this being if a vet is not an option).... A vet is always the first and best choice... Ihope they make it... Please keep us posted.

P.S. If he makes it and can get a lift to Portland.. I will give one of them a home. (just my way of helping.. I do love leghorns.)

Quote:
You are so right.
thumbsup.gif
Hope he makes it. His roo buddy is precious too.
hugs.gif
Your dad is an angel to those beautiful boys.

Yes, Dad is an angel to help out the 2 guys.

I spoke with him last night and he said that the hurt one is eating and drinking. The injury looks really bad though. I suggested to him that he put the hurt one in a dog cage near the other one. Even though the unhurt roo seems very concerned, he might peck at the injury. I also suggested that he give the hurt one heat to help keep it warm while he heals.

He's considering keeping them, but doesn't know what to do with them. He said that he has wild cats on his property and wonders if the cats can kill them? He's in a very rural area and I suspect that there are many wild animals there waiting to eat chickens.

Well, what ever he decides to do with them, at least now he understands why I love my chickens so much.

Wild cats and many other predators will try to get the chickens. If he wants to keep them, I recommend he build them a small coop and run area that is full covered with a hardwire skirt all the way around it so nothing can dig in to get them (or bury the fencing down a bit). If the roos don't do well separated (even if only by a kennel), he can cover the wound with sterile gauze and, if needed, vet wrap. IF the roo is eating and drinking, I think it is worth a shot to see if he heals.

The injured one is suffering more than what it's willing to show. Chickens do that to hide their vulnerability from predators. Please put it out of its misery.
ETA What kind of human is it that can dump unwanted animals on the side of the road to die whatever way luck decides for them?

Last edited:
This is breaking my heart. I've had beuatifully bonded roos that wouldn't leave one anothers side in times of trouble and that literally would do anything for each other. Please please try to have an avian vet look at this poor injured bird right away to see if there is hope or if the time has come to end its suffering. Do let the other roo know what's happening either way (if injured roo is put down, gently show surviving roo his buddy)as it will wonder where it's buddy is and if it's buddy can't make it surviving roo will mourn and be very lonely and need a friend. If there is hope for the injured roo, a lot of appropriate (for chcikens) pain killer may make life bearable until he heals.
JJ (usually jjthink)

Truthfully, sad as it is, I think he should be euthanized. Birds do not show how much pain they're in, generally. It's their nature to hide vulnerability. It's very compassionate of your dad to try to help them.

Back
Top Bottom