Discouraged...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by hollymh, Jul 19, 2011.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Looking for a rental home, trying to negotiate, either someone doesn't want me to have a cat or they want a ridiculous amount for rent trying to make a buck and the negotiating isn't going well... I'm being respectful and kind and people are just plain RUDE. Making smart remarks like I'm asking stupid questions all b/c they are trying to take advantage of someone. Adding several hundred dollars to rent on top of a $600 pet deposit b/c I have a pet is highway robbery. I give up. I'm moving into a cave and taking my pets and my money with me.

On that note, how is it that someone acts like you’re crazy when they are renting a FARMHOUSE with a BARN and you ask about pets and they act like you’re crazy for wanting pets?! REALLY PEOPLE?

Whine Over.

2. Forrest_Flock

Forrest_Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    wow am I sorry to hear about your situation
    $600 just because you have a cat?!

hey our landlord even let me keep chickens here
    although he is probably just as scared of the garden as we are [​IMG]

hope you find somewhere nice to stay
    that cave does not sound like a bad idea at all

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I can sympathize with you, but the cave? Your moving to a cave but what are the kids and DH going to do? I'm not sure if your talking of renting a house or an apartment. An apartment can be home too. Houses can be a bit more since the insurance and taxes are more. Right now we are in an upside down situation where it's cheaper to own a house than rent an apartment. Unfortunately without a good credit report that's out of the question.

So what to do? If your looking to rent a house? I'd suggest looking for an apartment. If your looking for an apartment then perhaps if you can get a rent subsidy where you live. Unfortunately the economy is bad and things don't look as though they will get better soon.

take care,

Rancher

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I want to rent my house out...all pets welcome no deposit. we are in the middle of changing chicken laws. Still moving out. cheap $675 and a rentable room in back.

5. Forrest_Flock

Forrest_Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Sorry you're having a hard time. We're not all that way. We just charge a one-time pet fee. I'm an animal person and wouldn't consider not having my pets if I ever had to rent.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well Holly, wanna be my pity party partner? This is a rough summer for us as well. Sending prayers your way (not meant to offend).

8. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Thank Deb, love prayers [​IMG]

9. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:It'll be a cave, we'll dig rooms out lol I'm just so fed up, I always treat others with respect and to get smart remarks back is so disheartining. We have to have a house with a yard, I can't live in an apt, too little, we have so much furniture we wouldnt fit in an apt even if we would like one. Oi, just keep my hopes and spirits up. The thing is, we are dream renters, clean, honest, reserved family, with great credit and rental history, and I even offered DIRECT DEPOST of rent on the 1st of every month. We do have more than one cat, 2 cats and a dog, sorry I wasnt clear on that one. I keep getting you can bring your dog, but not your cats. Look I'm flying my pets overseas, they are well loved and taken care of, I'm not going to pick and chose b/c you dont ike cats lol I will just go rent from someone who is kind, the can have my money and kindness!

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Is there any way that you can you work with a rental agent that knows pet friendly rentals? We allow pets in all our house rentals on a case by case basis. Even apartment rentals usually require $30-$50 per month additional per pet, at least in this area. Base house rents in not so great areas start at around $950-$1100 here, and go up from there. $600 would be a steal. Many house rentals do not even want to deal with pets due to damage and being burned big time in the past. That's no excuse for anyone to treat you with disrespect, and that alone would be a huge red flag that that's not the type of landlords you'd want anyway. We have some horses property houses with barns that are fenced and cross fenced for livestock, and even then indoor pets are still on a case by case basis based on past rental history, and with additional fees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by