1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discouraging buying an Easter chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vickers58, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    A friend of mine owns a feed store and sells chicks. She is looking for something to post to make sure people aren't purchasing chicks for their kids Easter baskets with no long term plans of raising them.

Does anyone have any literature she can post?

2. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Make a minimum. It's a law in Texas, and most (or all) other states have a minimum. In Texas the minimum is 6 for chicks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Minimums will help dissuade people who have no intention of actually raising them. At a local feed store they have a sign that says "Baby chicks are sold only for agricultural activities".

4. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    I am in Texas! Where could I find this law on the internet? Honestly, I am not sure if the store is following these guidelines, and would like to present that to her. Our area is quickly becoming an urban chicken owning community. I keep ducks, but I have countless friends who are chicken owners, and I know that they often will purchase 2 -3 chicks at a time from this store. Thanks in advance!

5. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    Several years ago my daughter bought 6 chicks that were colored for her nieces and nephews for Easter. Although she never had plans to raise them herself, her mother-in-law did. That was the plan from the beginning else she would not have bought them. My Mom and Dad always gave us each a duckling for Easter and we kept them long enough to raise them to a good size and we'd take them to a local duck park and donate them.

All I can say is the minimum of 6 chicks may not work as well. One in the family may buy 6 with the same intentions as my daughter did. I'd suggest drawing up a form that customers have to read and sign. Something that would make them agree that they have intentions on raising them, or that they have made arrangements for someone to properly care for them.

6. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I don't know where you could find it. I was told that it is a law that you have to buy 6, but I never have found anything on it. When I ask they tell me its a law, but can't tell me where to find it. Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about it.

7. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I agree!

8. Black wallnut

Black wallnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    How about a health and safety warning informing folks about salmonella contamination to whatever else they might want to put in an Easter basket with a chick. WE know chicks and chickens can be kept safely.

9. I know this thread is a bit old, but I own a chicken rescue and we have a Facebook page, and I posted about that:
    Don't Buy Chicks For Easter: Please, don't buy (or hatch) chicks for Easter. With every chick bought for Easter, a battery hen could have been saved. All chicks bought from stores come from hatcheries, and for every chick that comes from a hatchery, a male chick is killed. The male chicks are typically thrown in a grinder alive, suffocated in a trash bag, or left outside in a trash can behind the hatchery until they die from lack of warmth. Don't purchase chicks as an Easter gift, most animals purchased as gifts end up in shelters. Gift or not, many chicks end up at shelters or chicken rescues like Happy Hen Chicken Rescue. Remember, chicks don't stay chicks forever. Before you know it they will be adult chickens. They must be provided a coop, food (which is becoming quite expensive), water, and your time. Coops must be cleaned regularly depending on how many chickens you own. If you hatch 6 chicks, chances are 3 will be roosters. Still want chicks for Easter? Well, hopefully not.

The post was made to be on my page, so if there is anything that doesn't make since because you haven't seen the page, then sorry.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by