Discussion: Where do you put your brooder, and why?

I made a brooder out of a garden utility dump cart that attaches behind my riding mower. I just made a frame out of 2x4's and put on some 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the cover. I used wood chips for the deep litter and just keeping adding fresh wood chips as needed over the course of about 8 weeks. Most of the time a little stirring/fluffing of the litter was all that was needed to keep it clean. Since the temps were in the 20F's when I got my chicks, I put the brooder in my attached garage and had heat lamps on the chicks 24/7. There was no smell except for the wood chips themselves. Dander was minimal for the first 6 weeks, but I started to notice it after then. The last 2 weeks the temps outside got up to the 60F's, and inside the garage it was in the 70F's, and I had to start adding more wood chips to keep the smell under control. I did not clean out the deep litter until I moved the chicks to their new coop at week 8. The deep litter in the brooder at that point was about 5-6 inches deep and did not smell.

My wife never complained about the chicks in the garage as the smell was always under control and the dander was not an issue until the very end. In the double car garage, there is a lot of air volume and the dander was minimal. The wood chips deep litter kept the smell under control very well. Having said that, I would not want to brood my chicks in the house because I think the dander would be a problem in a small spare room or bathroom. Although the wood chips kept the smell under control in the garage, I don't know how well that would have worked in the house in a small room.

I wanted to have the brooder in my attached garage because of the low outside temps (20F's) when I got the chicks and I needed to make sure my heat lamps were always on keeping the chicks warm. Also, it was easy for me to go out into the garage to check up on the chicks. I also had a power out alarm set up on my garage electrical circuit so I could hear the alarm go off if the electricity went out.

Our first batch we did a traditional brooder in the house while building the coop. We found two problems with this approach.
1. As they got older, the mess was unbearable. Never again.
2. The stress to get the coop done was unnecessary. We knew for a year we were going to have the chickens. That is water under the bridge, but for anybody starting out, build before buying.

This coming Spring (April) we will do a brooder in the covered run. Keep the chicks inside for a day or two. Then outside, where they can observe and be observed. With a goal of full integration by 4 weeks. Did I mention we will use MHP in place of a heat lamp. There are some nice articles here on BYC that talk about MHP, brooding outdoors and early integration.

Best of luck. And welcome.

I put my portable brooder into the coop and the chicks have been there since they dried and fluffed up. Hatched in July. though and I would probably not do it in winter or early spring. They have conversations through the wire with the big birds in the mornings when I open the coop to let the big ones out into the run. In a couple of weeks they will be too big to stay in there though, and I have more chicks coming, so I hope the integration worked and I can get them out into the coop and run by then.

First: Congrats on the house and land and upcoming chicken adventure! That's fantastic!!!
:wee

Second: I must be weird. Or a glutton for punishment. Or both.

I kept my first flock in my formal dining room. We eat in the breakfast nook, so the dining room is pretty much unused. I am a teacher, so I've only gotten chicks during summer when I have lots of time to tend to them. Summers here are very hot, so inside the house works best ( yay, AC!). Dust wasn't an issue because I started them in an old small animal cage lined with puppy pads and graduated them to hemp. Hemp = no dust. Plus, there were only 4 chicks, so the mess was pretty minimal. And I cleaned that brooder at least 2x/day. They went into the coop after just a week or so, I think, once the temps dropped to the 90s.

The current batch are 3 bantams. They started in the dining room, too, and stayed a bit longer because I got them earlier in the summer than my first 4, so I had more 100°+ days to deal with. I also went on vacation when they were a few weeks old, and it was easier for my son to look after them inside the house. And, if I'm going to be completely honest, I was worried about them after I lost all of the chicks I'd ordered previously due to shipping stress and the USPS losing them for 2 days. These 3 are my babies. They completely imprinted on me, and I just couldn't bear the thought of losing them.

I moved them into the isolation pen in my big coop when they were almost 6 weeks old. Last week, I built them their own coop that will be used until (if) I can integrate them with my established flock.

TLDR: I kept them inside because of heat and my weakness.

I guess it depends on your climate. Ventilation is important. Exposing them to your soil is important. And I highly recommend puppy pads or hemp if they are brooded indoors.

Good luck!!!

Also: Orps are fantastic all-around birds. I also enjoy Brahmas, Plymouth Rocks, and Silkies. I only have 8 birds now, but I used to work on a ranch, so I've met quite a few. But I've not met a chicken I didn't like! ;)

My brooder is out in the barn, in a stall we lined with chicken wire. The chicks have a Mama-heating-pad and all 4 sets of chicks have done well in there so far. No artificial light, they are up at dawn and "in bed" at dusk. Mostly feathered at 4 weeks. First batch was 12 layer hybrid chicks, then 8 layer hybrid+4 cornish cross, then 15 cornish cross, and this final batch of 8 Sapphire Gems/3 Easter eggers. I will be getting a batch of cornish-X chicks yet this summer - really soon so I don't have to butcher in the snow and cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom