"Discussion" with husband about owning chickens

Quote:
MIGHT? Your ducks will be ECSTATIC! My ducks went nuts when the creek had a thawed spot this February. 25ish degrees outside and there they were bathing!

I found this whole thread interesting as I have a very similar DH. I had to go through all sorts of hoops to get my first dog, Rocket (not in the bedroom, not on the furniture, etc). In fact a couple years ago he built himself a barn/camp to go away for days on end because he came to think of our house as (the dog house). Said it smelled, too much hair, interruptions because Rocket wanted to go in/out/in/out while he watched TV, etc. (yet he told me to go and get Luna!!). I tell you, the marriage was not going well there for a while.

Only the other day he finally decided that the house isn't so bad (any more) claims it's because Rocket doesn't go in and out as much (he's almost 11) and Luna just isn't as bad for some reason. ???:|

I can't explain my DH (other than his father is an absolute ogre and trained his sons in his image) and have nearly given up trying. But he did allow me to have ducks last year, and is going to build their pen this year. I had to nix the big chicken plans I had because he became allergic to egg whites, but I did manage to convince him I could have meat chickens and 6 layers, (but he gets to cull the excess roosters). I'm surprised as "all get out" that I'm also getting 3 noisy guineas, but then, he doesn't like ticks either.

I will say, you are brave to start with 40 birds. I wouldn't risk that with my DH!

My husband has been an incredibly good sport about this whole thing. I guess giving him a year to get used to the idea worked. He's gotten more supportive of the things that make me happy, since I've always been that way with him. I really never tell him "no" about getting some vehicle, tv, computer, etc that he wants, figuring that he'd give me the same respect. After several years of "what he wants is more important than what I want", but me standing my ground, he's gotten much more reasonable.

One week and the babies will be here, I can't wait!

WOW you got a lot of replies going on with this question. ANyway I wanted to add that my friend has 130 CHICKENS! Her yard/house (she has 40 in brooders inside the house) does not stick at aLL! If you keep them clean by cleaning their area once a week you won't have to worry about it. I figure if she can keep 130 chickens and NOT have it smell on her property I can manage 12 lol Here is her quote of the day "CHICKENS DO NOT SMELL, IT"S THEIR POO THAT SMELLS"
lau.gif
My hubby was the same as yours and I did a little of this --->
hit.gif
and a little of this --->
he.gif
and asked him to PLEASE for ME read some of the comments on how chickens DO NOT stick. SO then he says OK!
yippiechickie.gif
Tell your hubby to visit this website ( http://journals.aol.com/fowfies/the-new-chicken-chronicles/ ) and ask her any question....she can answer any question he has. She has SEVERAL other animals too Emu's, horses, goats...and her little farm is very clean and smells fine.

Last edited:
Quote:
I second this motion! LOL

Maybe he has... alektorophobia and just doesn't want to admit?!

The only reason they would ever be stinky is if they were kept in an area too small and not cared for... and even then, its not them, its the poo pile up. I mean, if you had to live in poo that you yourself couldn't clean up and the people supposed to care for you wouldn't either, what do you think would happen?
hmm.png
So that one rests with the caretakers, not on the chickens themselves. That's no different than the situation you would have with dogs under the same circumstances, for example.

Back
Top Bottom