Disease in chickens

Neighborhood Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Hudson, CO
I'm sorry my photo is sideways. We got a new flock of chickens and have had them about 2 months or so. Several have begun this way. Bad eye. Then they start not moving, then they die. Any idea what is going on? Another one showing symptoms this morning. She looks all wet because we sprayed some chicken RX on her and it is warm out now. Is this common? We have never used this breeder before - an acquaintance. She claims none of hers are like this. The eye is swollen - but not all of them had swollen eyes- just kind of matted, then they won't hold open. Sometimes it looks sunken. They have a large, clean chicken house with good feed and clean water every day so it is not conditions at our house. I am so afraid I will lose them all!! Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• sick chicken.jpg
    sick chicken.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for reply. I read on a Chicken Facebook page to give a high quality colloidal silver in the eyes since that is where this begins (Yes it is safe - I put this brand - Mesosilver -in my own eyes and my cats eyes) plus probiotics, silver, Vet RX and vitamin C internally. I have a call into the vet in case I need antibiotics. She is already looking a bit better and she is isolated now.

I am so afraid I will lose them all!! Thank you for any advice!
Dear chicken friend... sorry for your experience! :hugs

Please share your general location and add it to your profile if you're able.

Sending one in for necropsy will get you some answers often free or affordable to back yard keepers..
State poultry labs

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

A couple links for your own viewing.. Focus on respiratory things most likely..
Avian Disease Manual 7th Edition

Common Poultry Diseases

It didn't begin in the eyes.. that's JUST where you noticed the symptoms first.

If you are in the US.. get a good supplement like Rooster booster brand poultry Cell.. the other magic fixes your throwing.. might relieve symptoms but won't heal the bird.. the one I'm suggesting is just nutrition but it will support the birds own immune system very well!

If not that one.. Poultry nutri drench.. it has amino acids that other vitamin/electrolyte supplements don't.

ETA: tagging another diagnostic member for input.. @Eggcessive, TIA for thoughts and advice!

:fl

Thank you EggSighted4Life for the insight and for all those links - they are all saved. So much good info! I'm amazed that antibiotics are ineffective for so many things. We have had flocks of chickens for about 20 years now and this is the first bunch that have had any health problems at all!

Thank you EggSighted4Life for the insight and for all those links - they are all saved. So much good info! I'm amazed that antibiotics are ineffective for so many things. We have had flocks of chickens for about 20 years now and this is the first bunch that have had any health problems at all!
You'd be shocked to find out that without bacteria we would literally not be alive today.. you actually feed the bacteria that feed your body to keep it alive!

You are correct though antibiotics do not kill virus.. in fact virus and bacteria battle each other! :eek:

Chickens have given me a whole new education I wasn't interested in my formative years.. and as shown by the expression above, my mind is blown.

Honestly, if you're able.. I'd consider dispatching or harvesting any that are left of these to try an end whatever it is... I haven't looked deep at your symptoms to see what I truly think it might be..but your photo was horrendous to me and eliminating as many ailing ones as possible instead of trying to support them through would be the toughest and wisest choice one could make. Sorry for the heart breaking suggestion! How many more have ya hot from this batch.. and how many others?

I hope some of them are strong and resist this... :fl

Thank you for reply. Yes we have put 3 down so far thinking we had it stopped. For a couple days no new cases. So hard to put down but are working so hard to save the rest! She's doing better with our home grown remedies. We isolated her and the eye is open full time now and the other eye ok. Still a bit swollen by eye but it is lots better. No call back from vet yet. Hoping the rest are strong. The ones we lost were the smallest. I know the photo looked bad. Even worse because she was wet from spraying the Vet RX mixture. We have 14 with no symptoms so far.

Back
Top Bottom