Disease passing on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickens :), Sep 20, 2019.

1. Chickens :)

Chickens :) Songster

Feb 2, 2018
    Australia
    Hi there. Recently I have noticed my hens are all sneezing a bit. I am going to give them some medicine to help with that. The problem is, I am collecting eggs from one of the hens. My question is will a respiratory illness pass onto the eggs I am hatching. I won’t be giving my chickens any medicine until I have finished collecting eggs (in around 5 days) as to make sure the chicks aren’t affected.

Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What medicine and what is the diagnosis?

There are few diseases that pass vertically from hen through egg but without knowing what the malady is, there is no way to know.

3. Chickens :)

Feb 2, 2018
    Australia
    They are just sneezing a bit so only a mild respiratory disease. I have been talking to other breeders around the area who are also having the same problem. They believe it is because we have had many bush fires, dust storms and really high winds accompanied by sudden temperature changes. The medicine is oxymav b.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oxymav b is a broad spectrum antibiotic. If the problem isn't a known bacterial infection, it is inappropriate to treat with antibiotics.
    The problem could be as you say, environmental - the dust/smoke etc. It could also be viral, fungal, etc. None of which will an antibiotic help.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well if you have respiratory disease the Chicks once hatched will be carriers. Might only show symptoms under stressful situations. Won't pass through the eggs but the Chicks once hatched will become immune to it and be carriers..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Chickens :) and Wolfefarmyard like this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only diseases that pass vertically from hen to chick through hatching eggs are colibacillosis, epidemic tremor, egg drop syndrome, infectious anemia, infectious stunting syndrome, infectious synovitis, lymphoid sarcoma, pseudomonas, rotaviral enteritis, runting syndrome, salmonellosis and viral arthritis

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    You forgot this:
    Screenshot_20190920-081156.png

8. Chickens :)

Feb 2, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks for all the help. I will be hatching these eggs. I won’t be giving any of the oxymav b to them either as one of the poultry breeders down the road has the same issue caused by the weather

ChickenCanoe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: