Disease transmission through the egg?

LOL no Red I don't want infected eggs, I just want to see if shipped eggs will hatch after being subjected to that kind of heat for the treatment. Now PC should have saved some eggs and he should do a experiment with tainted eggs. And then have the state test them. By what I read they should test clean.

From what I've read in my recent research:

1. MG is transmitted at a rate of 1%-10% of eggs, so not all eggs from an infected source will have MG

2. MG is very mild in adults, very rough on the young and weak. Embryos infected usually do not make it to hatching and if they manage are at a much higher likelihood to die.

3. I'm not sure on this one: The hen only passes MG to the egg when she has an active flare up.

(I've read so much on MG that my eyes have gone crossed, so I don't think I'll be able to find the sources, but the information is out there just run some searches)

My advice to anyone buying hatching eggs is to ask questions of the seller. Don't buy from ebay or Craigslist. Buy on here and first check the feedback section. Second and most important: Run a search on the sellers posts. I don't know how many times I've seen "help my chickens are sneezing" in one post and that same person has eggs listed for sale. Do your homework!!!!

frow.gif
Howdy, CityGirl! I don't know if any of that makes you feel better or worse.
hugs.gif

Run a search on the sellers posts. I don't know how many times I've seen "help my chickens are sneezing" in one post and that same person has eggs listed for sale. Do your homework!!!!

Southernbelle... Great advice, now only if people will follow it.

1. MG is transmitted at a rate of 1%-10% of eggs, so not all eggs from an infected source will have MG

Sorry but I don't like those odds. If the heat treating kills the infected eggs that is much better odds.

I also see no difference from buying eggs on here as ebay, many egg sellers are selling on both, and both have feedback. And from the information I received from a national poultry company that almost all free range backyard flocks are infected or exposed. He is who I turn to for information such as this when I can reach him. He gave me the heat treating information. At the very least on ebay I can be assured most the time I am dealing with an adult. My one and only experience buying eggs on BYC was disappointing to say the least.

The fact is that almost all wild bird population are carriers and no matter how good your bio security is if you have a outdoor free ranging flock they are and will be exposed. As I stated outlook for a clean flock living a happy chicken lifestyle are grim. As posted by another member even indoor closed flocks cannot be contained from the disease.

My breeders for eggs I sell are in chicken tractors so there is no contact with wild birds or limited, but my free range birds have been exposed to crows, cardinals, robins, wrens, bluebirds, mocking birds, starlings and so on. This is a problem with closed indoor commercial flocks that these very small birds are hard to keep out. This is why they vaccinate, and as already posted it is not 100% protection unfortunately.

If heat treating does not destroy all the eggs but only the sick ones it is the best option, IMO.​

Last edited:
Walking wolf, if you don't need a "huge" quantity of eggs I can send you one dozen easter eggers (mix of americaunas and aracaunas)

for $22 to NC. or 6 for $12

Fertility here at the house for these is running on a 90 to 95 percent hatch on these after my letting them set on day for about 6 days (I've recently checked fertility.(

I'll include any extras I can that day. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom