Diseases?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Today I noticed one of my half grown guinea fowl is acting sick.

Its less active than the others.. and walking with its head tucked into its body..

Its not eating as much as the others.... but still drinking.

Its breathing seems slightly laboured.. and its wings are a bit droopy and its tail is bobbing a bit... all very minor signs.. nothing to drastic.. like its not struggling for breath or coughing etc.

I have put it in a cage separated from the rest, but still in the same coop so it can see its flock mates.. I want it to rest and have free access to its food.. not have to fight the others for it.

Any idea what could be wrong? Any advise what I could do?

Some of my chickens had a mild respiratory disease a few weeks ago.. with some coughing and raspy wheezing, but they all got better on their own and are fine now. Can a guinea fowl catch a similar disease from the chickens? And, if so, will it react the same?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If your chicken had a respitory disease not too long ago it's possible they retracted from that one. Are your chickens with your guinea's? or did you use (as foolish as it may seem, but it's good biosecurity especially when you know you have a problem) any equipment or clothing between the two? What respiratory problem did your chickens have?

If your chicken had a respitory disease not too long ago it's possible they retracted from that one. Are your chickens with your guinea's? or did you use (as foolish as it may seem, but it's good biosecurity especially when you know you have a problem) any equipment or clothing between the two? What respiratory problem did your chickens have?
Yes the guinea fowl are in with the chickens. I only have 10 bantams.. and 8 half grown guinea fowl in a huge coop / run. (and few pairs of utility king pigeons).

I think the chickens has a viral respiratory disease.. like infection bronchitis, or something similar. Only 4 showed symptoms and 3 recovered over a few days and one young chick died.

Now they are all healthy again. All the other guinea fowl are healthy too.. only this one bird seems not 100 percent. I have put some apple cider vinegar into the drinking water and tempting it with hard boiled egg... which they love. Keeping it separated to reduce stress for it.

I just wondered if Guinea fowl catch the same diseases as chickens.. and if it they react the same.. or does it hit them more severely than the chickens... or are they more hardy?

Sadly I found the guinea fowl had died during the night.

The good news is all the other 7 all seem very healthy and bright.

The one that died was very thin.. but the rest of the flock are fat and strong.

I did a good coop clean out.. and also disinfected all the feed and water containers.

I have added a stronger dose of the apple cider vinegar... just for the next few days.. and I have some vitamin B12 powder for the food.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this sick bird was just a one off.

OK.. so its a good week since the other bird died.. and all the rest are doing great and growing fast... such a relief.

Sorry to hear about that. 
I Haven't wormed mine ....how often should I do it ? They are fat and sassy, and have normal looking poop...lots of it...they are 8 weeks old now....

I have never wormed any of my birds.. chickens, ducks, parakeets, pigeons, and now these guinea fowl.

Some of my chickens are well over 6 years old, still laying eggs, and all are plump and healthy.

If some were skinny or acting sick, then I would consider de worming.. but I don't like to use any chemicals on my pets... or my garden.. so it would be a last resort indeed.

I only have small numbers of each kind of bird.. perhaps on farms or large scale breeders they need to de worm more.. as the birds are always on the same ground. Mine are free range in a huge area and their coop is cleaned out very regularly.

Your birds look about the same age as mine. How many do you have? I had 8 but one died from some respiratory problem. The others are doing well and have not got sick.

are you going to free range yours? I want to get mine out of the coop ASAP.. but am worried about how old they have to be and how do go about doing it without them simply walking off into the distance never to return.

They seem very attacked to my chicken flock.. and get very upset when they are allowed out.. but they have to stay in the coop. I hope they will hang around with them eventually.

I did have six, but thanks to one of my dogs, I have five now....I think they are eight weeks old...they have been outside of the coop and the run all day today, even though it's in the forties...they seem happy, but they don't stray far from the door, lol...dammit, had to go rescue Gizmo from Ginger...New plan...when they come out of the run, she gets penned in...

Back
Top Bottom